Trying a different view

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying a different view

This relief, I tried to get the sideway look with the head twisted. Basswood 4"sq. will be painting tomorrow After the first pictures, I went back (twice) for corrections.
    C&C are being looked forward to.
    . . .JoeB

Your proportions are wrong unless that is if that is the kind of look you want? I mean he does look a little freaky if that is what your going for? If you want to make him more real? The best thing I have found for myself in this area is to make lines and often that means looking at drawings which great for relief work in order to get a good measurement and I do draw lines like this when working on faces. This is a very basic way to do lines on a 3/4 side view. For example, you got one nose hole dropping below the line. Also that is really small to be trying something like this. Small is harder. Here is a video that uses this method or below drawings. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prO1lEWi7gg And sorry if this is not where you are going with this????? null.jpg
    Last edited by Dileon; 09-13-2020, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Thanks, Di, That was what I was kind of going for-an off look. I've made a screen capture of your example, will be studying it tomorrow, and watch the video. Again thanks Di
      . . .JoeB

Comment

Looks good Joe. You are really expanding your skills. I need to work on my releif carving.

Thanks for sharing Di!
        We live in the land of the free because of the brave!

https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Joe, I really like what you've done with the jaw area. Also, I like how you have brought the right eye (looking at the picture) in behind the nose. You have the concepts. My only critique would be to make the nostril smaller. One side seems 'open', like tilted up, and one side seems 'closed', like tilted down. But you where working in a small area, and your work just keeps getting better!

Comment

Joe, one of the hardest things for me and my bird profiles. The darn things just keep moving around. And eyes are the bugger. Certainly if this is your first round , Sappy Randy and Di have great ideas. Keep it up and looking fwd for more.
            Chuck
            Oh and thanks Di for the page of "heads" ..
            Last edited by NoDNA; 09-14-2020, 09:33 AM. Reason: Thanks to Dileon..
            Chuck
            Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://mewe.com/profile/5d6f213642db757a5dfb3223

Comment

Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
              Thanks, Di, That was what I was kind of going for-an off look. I've made a screen capture of your example, will be studying it tomorrow, and watch the video. Again thanks Di
              Honestly, I like the look you have although,....I just did not know if that was your intention. I was very unsure if I should comment at all about it. As I have seen work like this, especially with the modern age works. As it is a cross between modern/ old masters. But figure what the heck,... if it was not, then someone new might like the information. The only thing that catches my attention with your approach then is what is that item by his mouth on the right side? If it was me I reduce the attention on it a little, make it more background perhaps?

Comment

Randy, Thank You, Ya, I keep bouncing around from one style to another, but mostly head-related.

Sappy, Thank You, I did let the nose nostril get a little big as is shown in the first picture, tried working it down as shown in the third, but the flare was just too much to try and trim down if it would look even more screwy if I do so.

Di, again, Thank You, What your seeing in my attempt to show a little more hair. I've included an image of the picture I was trying to capture.

Well, I'm off to add some paint, will post up.

Attached Files
                . . .JoeB

Comment

Good work, Joe. When going from a drawing to relief you may be replacing a line with a physical contour. Don't feel compelled to completely outline every feature with dark lines. On the topic of framing your reliefs: If the design has a vertical aspect, the frame should be even in width or the horizontal members should be wider. Phil

Comment

Thanks, Phil, the wood is 4" x 4", it was a scrap piece, too good to lose.

Well here it is
                    Attached Files
                    . . .JoeB

Comment

Hi Joe - This is Mimi, Phil's wife, and I wanted to comment on your work ; I LIKE IT ! Your faces all have character and animation ! The features are all strong and definite - to me this shows a strong carving hand and the lack of hesitation that gives your faces character. Yes, you could make them more perfect, but that would make them less human and weaker in character ! They are unique - stay true ! Mimi

Comment

Working...
                      X