Guitar D28 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Joe
    well it IS going to be a bit different from the normal guitar look hehehe. Sent some more photos of the archtop build to Jeff last night. Cheers mate.

Hi Merle.
    Well you could carve a radio body with eagles and put a transistor type radio in it hehehehehehe. Cheers mate.

Have made another eagle to be inlet into the pick guard. Need to find a piece of high figure wood for the pick guard so it sort of makes a feature of the piece.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Glenn Jennings; 01-20-2021, 02:44 AM.

Comment

If one of the band members sees your work, you might get an order
      . . .JoeB

Comment

Hi Guys,
        Well this is the eagle inlaid into the claro walnut pickguard. It has 2 coats of tru- oil on it so far.
        Attached Files

Comment

This is going to be some guitar .
          . . .JoeB

Comment

Hi Glenn , on the inlay, did you remove Wood from the whole area under the Eagle and cut around the Outline of the Eagle ? If so that's some very Fine Cutting . Still looking GOOD . Merle

Comment

Hi Joe,
              Thanks mate. I flicked it through to jeff to have a look at.

Hi Merle,
              Yes that is exactly how I did it.I clamped the eagle to the work and used a scriber with a super fine point to mark the outline. Then routed it out with the dremel router close to the line and finished the to the line cutting by hand. Having a microscope is a big help for being able to see to cut to the edge of a scribed line. It enables one to get a nice tight fit. I used my home made, very fine bladed knives made from hacksaw blades for the fine cutting.

Comment

Hi Glenn , thanks for the Tip on doing your Inlay . A Microscope to do Carving I would have thought would be Over Kill on Eye Support but if the Master uses it then it isn't . I've done Inlay but they looked like I used a Shovel compared to yours . Ha,Ha. I now want to find something to Inlay and do a better Job . Nice Lite Touch on the Burning of the Eagle . Thanks Bud . Merle

Comment

Hi Merle
                  You can pick these up for around US$530.00m plus on ebay out of china . Mine is set up for 7-45 magnification which I think is ideal for engraving and inlay work. Try under swift microscopes. Mine has a roller beering slide stand and a video camera that I can put onto a screen if I want to. There is a bit of a lag in the display so I don't use that function. Though it is useful for looking at stuff in detail.

There is plenty of room to work under the thing as well so there are no handling issues.

I find this a totally awesome piece of kit for the stuff I get into.

Have attached a photo of the set up for your information.

Cheers
                  Glenn
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Glenn Jennings; 01-21-2021, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Hi Glenn , sure looks like a Great piece of Equipment but is way out of my Price Range and only 1 good Eye . When doing my Inlay I'll make it bigger . Thanks for showing it . Merle

Comment

Glen just got these images from a friend of mine, I'm betting it would take a wide strap to hang on this one all night
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 2 photos.
                      . . .JoeB

Comment

Hi Joe
                        Well that is an interesting concept. !!! Looks like ceramic tile so I think you are right a wide strap and a strong back would be required hehehehe

Comment

Hi Guys
                          This is the fretboard cut to shape and inlet with bird shapes. The inserts were cut out of a veneer sheet about .6mm thick. I used a tiny dremel router to rough out the shapes then used a very small knife under the microscope to shape it the last bit to a tight fit.

It has had 1 coat of dembart checker and gunstock oil which penetrates and sets very hard. This will reduce wear on the inserts over time and can be re-coated at any time for long term protection.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Is this like the really good-looking girl, but who couldn't cook I'm thinking it is going a ve great sound and action?
                            . . .JoeB

Comment

Hi Joe
                              I will set it up with a fairly low action on low level frets. This should then play like my Taylor T5 which is great to play as you only need a light touch and with the frets being low there will be no distortion of the pitch of the note no matter how hard you lean on the strings. I have a PRS Mcarty 594 and with light strings you can get a lot of distortion of the pitch just by pressing harder on the string. Given I like light strings for blues it can take a little while to settle in to playing it.

Am hopeful that this set up will take all that issue away. I could put heavier strings on the 594 but that is harder on the fingures for bending the string to get those nice blues sounds and my hands aren't that great so anything that helps id good.

Will be interesting to see if I have got it right.

As for sound. With top grade Alaskin Spruce on the top and Pau Fero on the back and sides with some 80/20 elixir strings to mellow out the brightness of the Pau Fero wood I am hopeful of a pretty good sound.

Until the strings go on the jury is out on that one though hehehe.

You will have probably have noticed that the eagle inserts vary slightly in shape. This was deliberate so that it didn't look factory CNC made. I want it to "LOOK" hand made but good quality and not another 1 of a million production run.

Todays effort was to try and make a couple of corner inserts for the neck to hide a blemish from a slip with the saw. Thought I might have been able to sand it out but wasn't happy with the ourcome so decided to make a bit of a feature of it instead. Merle would refer to this as one of his I changed my mind moments hehehe. Need to darken the one on the left a little.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Got a question about the frets∙∙∙∙How do you know how far to space them, smaller guitar closer, large guitar further, is there some measurement you use? Not that I'm going to be building a guitar, but space will affect the turning of the guitar & the scale as you move around n the neck??????
                                . . .JoeB

Comment

Working...
                                X