No announcement yet.

Guitar D28 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, Glenn that back wood is absolutely beautiful.
    Mark N. Akers
    My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

Hi Mark,
      Have to agree whole heartedly on that mark. Pau Ferro otherwise known as Morado has some stunning grain patterns. It comes out of Brazil and Bolivia.

Comment

Hi Guys,
        Have made some progress on the beast. I got the neck fitting and all lined up ready for glueing in. Believe it or not It took 6 hours and an awful lot of fiddling to get it right. Next time I will build the body then use a router and jig to cut the dovetail once the body is all sorted. Cutting the dovetail block first then fitting it to the body in the mold is not as accurate. Just wanted to do one the old fashioned way. Now have total respect for builders of earlier times.

Didn't get it as good as I would have liked but is not too bad. The very thin shims I had to put in are not overly noticeable.

Fitted the taper block to hide the join of the two sides at the back. Was a piece of scrap I had from a box of stuff I got from Dad. No idea what it is but it has a lovely grain ripple in it and it provides a nice contrast.

InterestinglyI noticed that the back has a slight inward curve rather than the outward curve it was supposed to have . Is not really discernable to the eye.

I tap tested each of my acoustics against this one again and boy is it loud and resonant by comparison to all of them.

When I tap any of the others the strings on the guitar hum and their is a very slight response from the 16 guitars I have hanging on the wall. When I tap my one the whole wall starts humming quite loudly. I think this is a very good omen. But as always Until the strings go the jury is out. Cant wait to hear how she sounds. Have to put the brakes on. Can't rush it at this stage.

Next stage is perfling then artwork on the top.
        Attached Files

Comment

Sweeet. I bet you might have done a little jig when the other instruments started humming a welcome to their new friend
          . . .JoeB

Comment

Hi Joe
            Yeah, I was pretty pleased, and surprised actually! Will be so interesting to see how she pans out. I got the binding done on the back today and hope to get the top binding done tomorrow. Then it is only the bridge, tuners. String nut and pick guard to do for the actual construction to be all done. Hate to think how many hours I have poured into this project.

Hope to steam bend the 4 bits of binding to go on the top tonight when it cools down a bit.

The finishing will take quite a while.

Comment

Hi Guys
              Well all the body binding has been done so the body construction apart from fitting the bridge and pick guard Is completed. One has to be very careful using the dremel router to cut the rabbet for the binding to fit into.I decided to cut the rabbet slightly undersize by about 0.5mm which in retrospect was a GOOD idea. Once cut the rabbet was cleaned up with files and sandpaper until the binding was a pretty good fit.

I used 12mm masking tape strips about 25mm apart to hold the binding in place until the glue hardened. One has to take care removing the tape from the spruce top or wood fibre will pull out between the grain lines.

To get around this I used a hot air gun to soften the glue on the tape. Doing it this way it came away cleanly and the top was left in good condition.

I used a sharp metal scraper to dress the binding down to the body then went down through the sandpaper grades to 240 grit.

Was going to try for an pyrography eagle on the spruce top but after a test burn on a bit of scrap decided against it as getting a clean line was pretty hard as the wood would burn at different rates on different spots and the result wasn't that great.

Could do something on basswood or Kahikatea and glue it on but I think I will wait until I see what it sounds like first. If it turns out to sound really good I don't want to compromise the sound by glueing something on the top. If it sounds kind of average then I will go for it.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Glenn Jennings; 02-22-2021, 04:14 PM.

Comment

I bet it's hard not to rush forward with the rest of the project, close to the finish line!
                . . .JoeB

Comment

Hi Guys,
                  Made some progress. Found I didn't have dots to mark the frets on the side of the neck so went down to spotlight and got a pair of white plastic knitting needles 2mm thick for a whole $1.00. Just drilled the holes in the neck tapped them in and cut them off and dressed them. All worked a treat.

Rubbed the body and neck down with 0000 steel wool and gave it a coat of Birchwood Casey sealer filler then rubbed it all back down and gave it a coat of tru- oil. Let that dry and rubbed it down again and gave it another coat of tru- oil.

The grain is really starting to show up nicely now.

Fit the neck and got the centre line spot on so it ligns up as it should.

Fitted the truss rod cover plate and the pick guard so she is starting to look like a guitar now.

Gave it another coat of tru oil and will leave it overnight to harden up.

Tomorrow I hope to put the bridge on and the tuners. Will let the bridge glue harden overnight then Saturday will be the day the strings go on.

Can't Wait.

Will let the finish harden up for about 3 weeks then I will rub the whole thing back with the steel wool and give it another couple of coats of finish to really make that grain come alive big time.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Wow! That is amazing to look at!

BobL

Comment

Almost there
                      . . .JoeB

Comment

Hi whittlebear
                        Thanks buddy Has taken a couple of months hard toil but she is so close to being done now. Can't wait to hear her sing!!!

Hi Joe ,
                        Not far to go now nearly done. Tru-oil is holding things up at the moment. The humidity is up and the stuff Is taking a coat 24 hours to get to a point of being hadleable which is a pain. When the weather is right it drys in a couple of hours or so.

Comment

Glenn, that is absolutely one beautiful guitar, very nice, just love the wood grains.
                          Mark N. Akers
                          My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

Working...
                          X