Guitar D28 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Joe
    Setbacks just abound on this project. Just got another one. In getting the bridge off I put a small crack in the top . it shouldn't be a major issue given every guitar has a crack right up the centre where the two halves are joined. It will also be reinforced with the new bridge going over the top of the crack which along with gluing the crack up should be stronger than the original wood. I managed to get glue right through all of the crack so it should be ok.

Dont think I will be making another guitar for a while. This one has just about cured me for the time being of that whim. hehehehehehe. That what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. Ah I think ? hehehehe

I made the new bridge a little larger than the old to set off the nice burl nicely against the top.
    Last edited by Glenn Jennings; 02-28-2021, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Awwwww∙∙∙∙I bet you almost had to change your draws when that happened, Keep fingers crossed
      . . .JoeB

Comment

Hi Guys
        Well the small crack has repaired well. If you didn't know where it was you would have to look real hard to find it and even then you might not.

The new bridge has fit well this time. The pins and a different clamping arangement using one big clamp in the middle and bolts to push down on the ends of the bridge has made things so much easier. I have a good fit all around. I prepared the top so that a 1/2 inch strip of newspaprer which is about 3 thou grabbed all the way around when I used it as a feeler gauge under the bridge.

Tomorrow I will ream out the pin holes to hold the strings in place and re- finish the top. It will take another a week or so to finish it as the tru-oil is taking 2 days to dry between coats.

Will try thinning the tru-oil 20% and spraying it. You get a high gloss finish that way but it is terrible stuff for getting runs in it So will go to 40psi to spray it and set the gun for the barest mist of spray. One can contol it better that way. If it all turns bad then you leave it for a month and sand it all down again.

I think it is beer oclock. A cold one is in order me thinks.
        Attached Files

Comment

They must call you "No Stop Glenn"

I'm curious, were the bolts threaded into the wood so that could screw them as the need to get the correct pressure on the end of the bridge?
          . . .JoeB

Comment

Hi Joe,
            Got to the stage with this project where I want to get it finished so I can get some work done around the house before winter.

Need to do some work on the drive, Paint the roof , Paint some windows. Tidy up what garden we have and plant a couple of trees. All the stuff that falls in the "can I put it off until tomorrow basket" If the answer is not really then one has to just bite the bullet and get on with it. No where near as much fun as "PROJECTS" !!!!

You are correct in that the two bolts are threaded into the wood. This is a cheap and easy fix for clamp jobs where it is difficult to get more than one clamp on. Certainly worked a treat. Got the idea from you-tube prowling. Wealth of information there for the taking.
            Last edited by Glenn Jennings; 03-01-2021, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Well bar waiting for the finish to dry and a final cut and polish she is now finished I fit the bridge pins today . Managed to get a pretty good finish without running the risk of spraying it so I think we shall call her done at this point.

If I feel brave in the future I might give it another couple of coats of tru-oil but I done think it will need it. Will post some photos of her all polished up with strings on in 2-3 days when the finish is dry enough to polish up.

Will need to set her up but that has to wait for the strings to go on.

Comment

I spaced it, our seasons are flopped. I can almost hear that "C" now
                . . .JoeB

Comment

Saw these and thought of you
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 2 photos.
                  . . .JoeB

Comment

Saw these and thought of you, also saw one that had holes in the top side?????
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 2 photos.
                    . . .JoeB

Comment

Hi Joe
                      Wow that has to be some of the most ornate guitar work I have ever seen. Love the scallop shell effect on the back of the guitar. The inlay must have taken just about forever.

Is not unusual for a sound hole to be in the top of the side of the body. Quite a few jazz guitars have this as the are designed to project sound away from the guitar. The hole in the side lets the player get the bennefit ofthe tone as well.

Comment

Hi Guys,
                        Have had real issues with getting the tru-oil to dry properly on the guitar body so after waiting for over a week for the stuff to dry I have stripped it all off with steel wool and left it for a few days. The finish as it stands is now dry. I will leave it for a few more days until I can be sure it has cured before attempting to re-do it.

I threw some strings on it to see what it sounded like and was not disapointed. It has totally lived up to expectations in every respect. It has great projection of sound. A deep resonant bass and the mids and trebble are nicely ballanced. The tone is really nice and it produces a nice full bodied rich sound. A single strummed chord will ring for quite a long time.

I have Maton, Martin EC, and Takamine limited edition acoustic guitars and this is right up there with these top of the line giutars in terms of the sound. Absolutely delighted with the sound.

Just need to get it looking good now.

Comment

Putting the finish aside (besides they usually turn the lights down low) But it "sounds" like your happy with the acoustical quality of your efforts, Well done sir.
                          . . .JoeB

Comment

Glen, will we be expecting a video of this guitar being played so we can enjoy the sounds of this beauty ourselves? This has been an enjoyable ride watching this instrument come into being. I am very impressed with your craftsmanship.

Comment

Hi Joe
                              Thanks Joe, Yeah I'm really happy with it. It was well worth the toil to make her. Got a little more setting up to do to optimise the playability but she plays pretty well as she is BUT I think I can get that part of it even better yet.

Hi Curly
                              I haven't figured out how to do that but will try to have a crack at it. I will let you know if I manage to achieve that wee thing. Getting good representative sound reproduction will be the issue. A lot of youtube stuff has terrible recordings that don't do the instruments justice. I don't want this to fall in that category so will take a while to figure out me thinks.

Thanks for the nice comments much appreciated. This was a trying but fun journey with all the issues I had to sort out to get there. Glad you enjoyed the trip. There is a lot of satisfaction in getting there in the end.

Comment

Just finished reading the whole thread, Glenn. The guitar looks beautiful in the photos, and I'm glad to hear you like the sound. Definitely a project of love!

Claude
                                My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
                                My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
                                My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
                                My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Working...
                                X