No announcement yet.

Kicking my rump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glen, thank you, I've tried your suggestions, that right eye still bugging me so I drilled a hole in the middle of it and have added some "QuikWood" to rebuild it and try and recenter.

Di, thank you, first of all, you are right about a larger carving and adding details. but every time I move up to something larger in size, I fight my work/carving area . The look I'm after is pretty much the same as the image I saw. I think it looks "Greeky" to me. I believe the jaw is gaping open Doward was the impression I got and try ing to show, did some more work on them but starting to run out of wood . I do believe it is angry yelling. Guess I should have gone & got my teeth out of the bathroom, really, I going to remember that trick for future reference.

hey guys, appreciate
    . . .JoeB

Comment

Joe, I haven't tried one like this out of a page yet. but I do like a challenge and you have done it. I take photos and convert them to a carving, sometimes to scrap, but I got off the norm of out of the catalog of patterns and enjoy the just carving. I have a bear about 15" high I will send to you if you wish a challenge.. HA.
      All in all ,the curls are looking real good and I always have trouble with the eyes, esp. birds and bad wood. I use a spray bottle with 50/50 water and denatured alcohol when the wood give me the pitts.
      And I agree with Glenn and Di too eyes..
      Chuck
      Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Comment

Hey Joe, another very interesting subject you are doing there. When you posted the first pictures, the one upside down, I felt like I was looking at a second face. It had an upside down nose, but we know from Tom that is now possible. Ha ha! The checks become knobs on the forehead and the mouth becomes an opening into the head. The upside down version is a lot like "the beast within the man". Did you happen to notice that?

Comment

Looking good Joe.
          Ed
          Living in a pile of chips.
          https://www.etsy.com/shop/HiddenInWood
          https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

Comment

OK, I'm calling this phase finished, whew∙∙∙∙

Chuck, Thank You, I'm always open to a challenge . Rebuilt the right eye, think it looks better now, at least not as lazy. I also use the 50/50 mix, I've wondered why the alcohol, just for evaporation????

Sappy, Thank You, Merle suggested looking at your carving upside down, it just gives you a different perspective of your carving as far as lining things up (eyes), as with a TOTAL new perspective .

Ed, Thank You

Now it off to the painting phase awwwwww

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 3 photos.
            . . .JoeB

Comment

Hi Joe,
              looking way better now mate. You got that eye well and truly sorted. Well done !!!!

Comment

Thanks, Glen

Well I sloped some paint around

Used acrylic paint and fingernail polish. The iron acetate/tannins solution for background, a dab of Mod Podge Dimensional magic on the eyes.

You know the drill on my post by now
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 3 photos.
                . . .JoeB

Comment

Joe, this looks really nice! I have thought this looked familiar, check out the Northwind antique carvings. Yours certainly falls into this group. Good carving!

Comment

Sappy, thank you for the kindness of your remark.

.I'm not sure whose picture I was looking at on Esty, but they are very similar.
                    . . .JoeB

Comment

Well that sure bought it well and truly to life . Well done joe.

Comment

Joe its coming along great.
                        Mark N. Akers
                        My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

Thanks, Glenn & Mark.

Since JoeVM won't let me have his Valentine Cupid, I had better get busy and carving a belated valentine for my wife, happy wife, happy life
                          . . .JoeB

Comment

Working...
                          X