Quick Portrait of Sitting Bull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Portrait of Sitting Bull

Hi all things have been a bit busy, but I made a mistake yesterday and didn't want to completly waste the wood..but maybe I should have.

Any way I took two hours to do a light relief carving. Its pretty rough yet but the wood is cherry and is really more like basa. for cherry it is really soft. Awyway .....ramble ramble

Ash

Re: Quick Portrait of Sitting Bull

Ash .. from what I see now and knowing your skills with carving ..

I would say this piece is going to be a winner ..

Please show when your finished ..

Thats going to be a beautiful piece ..

Gene

Comment

Hi Ash, looks like you have a mighty good start, please keep us updated on your progress.
      Kathy

Comment

I can tell this is going to be a great carving. I can't wait to see the work on it and the finished piece.. Your portraits have inspired me to try to see what I can do. Nothing like yours of course.. Charlotte

Comment

Ash,
          He looks great, with your skills we are in for a treat - we are waiting for new pictures.
          Fred

Comment

Ash,
            I think that is going to be one great carving , make sure you show us the finished product. good job.
            Jim

Comment

Ash, looks like your off to a great start, can't wait to see the finished product!
              GaryMc

Comment

Now wait a minute guys dont build him up too much he wont be able to get his hat on. What skills are we talking about do you guys remember the kangeroo in the rail fence.(Lol) All kidding aside I know Garry will do justice to this piece just didnt want his head to swell too much.
                Colin
                Jim - The Doing is as much fun as the Viewing!
                Jackson, MS

Comment

I am not sure why it had to be quick...he's Sitting! Now if he was Running Bull, that would be understandable
                  "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Thanks for the support guys.

Hope I can earn it .

Collin your right .. I will go to Kanaroos rofl

Hi-ho .... *shakes head*

lol

Ash

Comment

Will be keeping an eye out as you progress Ash. This should be a nice carving. This picture come from a pattern or somewhere else?
                      Patrick

Comment

Thanks Patrick,

It is from an orginal 1800's photo, when Sitting Bull was with the wild west show that I converted to a line pattern. There were a lot of things I liked about the photo. One is that Sitting bull was frowning which really high lighted the creases in the face. The second was that his eyes are closed I assume from the flash pan and in doing so resulted in really making his eyes stand out with those impressive features. Then those powerful hands. Showing his age and the strength of a life of hardships.

So hopefully I can get those effects correct.

Garry

Comment

Just an update ,

Wasn't happy with the cherry, so I changed to curly maple, seems to be holding detail much better . I am pretty happy with the face now. So since you asked to see progress.

Ash

Comment

Well the carving is finished except for cleaning up the fuzzy's and putting the finsh on.

The first pic is with flash that shows the wood grain, the last one has a ruler to show size.
                            Ash

Comment

Garry, beautiful! You make me want to sneak out of the studio office and go do some carving.

His cheek bones are to die for ... and the simplicity of the eye carving is fantastic. Love the cut out silhouette especially on such thin wood.

I would love to see a close up of his face into the neck area. Necks are so very hard to capture correctly and I do believe that you have done so.

Great work.

Susan
                              Lora

Art Designs Studio: https://www.artdesignsstudio.com/
                              LSIrish.com: https://www.lsirish.com/
                              CarvingPatterns.com: https://www.carvingpatterns.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X