Laughing Bear (Ha! Ha! Ha!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laughing Bear (Ha! Ha! Ha!)

How many of my esteemed fellow whittler's out there have received their copy of Woodcarving Illustrated; seen a project and pattern they liked; commented to themselves that it looked pretty easy; and then discovered to their dismay an extreme mental block in trying to transfer what was on paper to a block of wood?

Such was the case with this little fellow. When I spotted the article by Jim Villars in the Fall issue of WCI 2007 I was as happy as a pig in...... well, you get the picture. But when I tried to carve the little sucker I had more problems than I've run across in a long time. I just couldn't visualize his body being twisted and his feet 45 degrees off the center line of his torso. Jim gives some great pictures and an outstanding pattern but it just didn't help. For what ever reason I was totally brain dead. In my frustration I cut off his brow and then took his hearing away by chopping off his ears. Fortunately, Titebond restored his hearing but he ended up with a flat head. Oh well! Such is life. This too will pass! I'll give it some breathing room and then try again at a later date. As they say, if first you don't succeed, try, try, again!

The bear is 2" x 2" x 4-1/2" and carved out of basswood. Jim finishes his bears with Briwax but I'm still in the acrylic mode. Besides, I needed some acrylic paint to hide the glue marks on the ears....bummer! I topcoated it with one coat of thinned delta Ceramcoat Satin Varnish.

Re: Laughing Bear (Ha! Ha! Ha!)

I love them Eddy .. Those are the fun carvings and big sellers at craft shows ..

Fun to look at and own .. Great job

Gene

Comment

Some people have too much fun .

I love it

Garry

Comment

Hey Eddy,
        Don't get too flustered, I think yer bear looks great! Thanks for sharing.
        Jim OH

Comment

Hey Eddy - nothing wrong with that carving! He's very happy for someone who just went through an ear transplant.
          Patrick

Comment

You did great Eddy on that laughn bear. Plus your painting made him jump!

Good work Ed. Forrest

Comment

Eddy, It's a keeper! Looks like a really fun little carving. Keep it up. Tom H
              http://beginnerscarvingcorner.blogspot.com/

Comment

Oh! My Gosh! Jee wiz! I think I'm blushing! You guys are too much! Ha! Ha! Thanks for the encouragement!

Comment

Working...
                X