No announcement yet.

3 Rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merle Rice but this kind of pain is relieved by the result. Thank you.
    If you don't like to call me wasserretter call me Dirk

Comment

I would be exhausted by the mental exercise alone. Good work.

Pacific Northwest First Nations use a textured surface finish sometimes,
      done with a shallow gouge like a 3-15 or a 5/15. It's a option you should look for.
      Brian T

Comment

Brian T Thanks for your kind words. I can't imagine how the surface would look like and after a short search in the internet I couldn't find a picture (maybe didn't search with the right phrases). Do you have a picture as an example?

Comment

Originally posted by pallin View Post
          Okay, you're ready for Bjarne Jesperson's book. Here a previous mention:

Search Result - Woodcarving Illustrated
          I bought this book online some time ago...just perusing the projects made my head hurt. Not my cup of tea, too much thinking involved. I gave it to my carver brother. However, I must say the projects are very good for those so inclined.
          Arthur

Comment

In my mind I have the slight idea of 5 rings in each other because we are a family of 5.
            Just a very blurry picture of it. I wonder if it ever becomes reality.

And I am trying to find some more pictures out of this book to decide if it is my kind of stuff.

Comment

I happen to like the appearance of the 5F/14 sweep. Most of this was done with a crooked knife, just easier. It could be scaled up or down with different knives for different sized projects.
              I wanted the legs and head glossy water-wet smooth for contrast.

FROG PIE 005S.jpg
              FROG PIE 006S.jpg
              Brian T

Comment

Thanks Brian T for this picture. Now I know what you mean. But I think the rings are to small for that kind of surface. I think Ihave to make a smooth surface.

Comment

Rings are ring shapes. That means smooth surfaces to me, gentle sanding.
                  The more I look at it, the more I fail to understand how you kept the 3D cuts in your head to do this.

It's quite a big dish, too big for most tables. 42cm x 35 cm (16.5" x 13.75").
                  Meant to hold a Pyrex glass pie plate. At that scale, I think the textured finish looks OK.
                  I have a fine detail crooked knife which would do 1/4 of that or less but I don't know if I have the patience to try it. Just to rough out a carving takes me long enough.
                  Brian T

Comment

All edges cut and scrached away with a knife and polished with an abrasive fleece, and oiled with linseed oil.
                    One growth ring was friable (hope deepl gave me the right word) so it was not that clean as I hoped it would get.
                    3rungs-finished2.jpg

3rings-finished4.jpg

3rings-finished5.jpg

3rings-finished3.jpg

3rings-finished1.jpg

Comment

Magnificent grain patterns you bring out. Looks like 3 bagels that need eating.
                      Brian T

Comment

I bet you are glad this project is over, well done
                        . . .JoeB

Comment

Thank you both, Brian T and JoeB.

​​​​​​It is really a great grain pattern an on the one side I am lucky to finish it.

But I think this is just the beginning. In german one would say "Ich habe Blut geleckt" which means I am triggered an want to do some more of this kind.
                          I thought abou 5 rings but one of my sons corrected me I have to think about our dog too so it have to be 6.
                          This project my thoughts are spinning around.

Thank you once more to all the kind words of all of you.

Comment

It looks to me like a lesson in how to make a pretzel, the difficult way. I like it. (I like real pretzels, too).

Well done.
                            HonketyHank toot toot

Comment

Tricky stuff to do !! well done.

Comment

honketyhank I like pretzels too
                                ​​​too. Glenn Jennings Thanks for your words.

Comment

Working...
                                X