No announcement yet.

Trying a different type of bowl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree - this is a lot of work, but the end result should be superb! What is the white wood - Kahikatea?

Claude
    My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
    My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
    My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
    My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Bet you wouldn't be using this bowl to serve clam chowder in. coming along nicely.
      . . .JoeB

Comment

Hi Merle
        Yeah this one is sure different to any of the others but that is what makes it interesting to try to achieve. hehehe.

Hi Claude
        You are not wrong this is not a 5 minute job hehe. And you are correct about the wood type it is indeed Kahikatea.

Hi Joe
        No clam chowder for this one mate. Just a piece of shelf candy if all goes well hehehehe.

Comment

Hi Guys
          Got the scallops done in the bowl wall. It took about an hour and a half to do each one. Cut it with the big gouge then used a curved scraper to take off the bumps then sanded down through the grades to a steel wool finish.

Think the next step will be some inlay on the top edge of the bowl. I have a light coloured fancy burl veneer that would work ok for this.Then the white pieces can be fit to the wall of the bowl which will be pretty tricky to get right.

Is not easy to photograph this to look its best but you will get the general idea. Might show up better with some finish on it I think.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Glenn Jennings; 08-22-2021, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Don't you get tired of these simple projects, challenge yourself man!
            ‚Äč
            image widget
            . . .JoeB

Comment

Hi Guys
              well have made some progress. I now have all the inlay done. Used burr walnut which was a mistake as it is quite difficult to cut shapes with fine points as the stuff only has to be sneezed on to break . It varies a lot some works ok and inch futher down the sheet will crumble with not a lot of pressure. I probably broke 50% in the cutting out and 30% on fitting them.

12.5 hours to do the inlay 42.5 hours spent in total on the project so far.

But wait there's more!!!! Next step is to do some pyrography on the white wood sections prior to fitting.
              Attached Files

Comment

I bet the pyrography will almost be a welcome break. This is going to be s stunning bowl.
                . . .JoeB

Comment

Hi Glenn , you are Definitely the Bowl Man. Gona be a Beautiful Piece of Art . Well Done Mate .. Merle

Comment

Beautiful, Glenn and can't wait for the pyro.
                    Bill
                    Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Hi Guys,
                      Thanks for the nice comments ! Have got all the pattern laid out on the 6 white wood pieces and one completed .

Photo attached to show how it will look. I have gone for a simple pattern. I had thought to use some colour for the flower but in the end decided that that would detract from the wood grains and colours and would in this instance look out of place.

I hadn't planned to use pyrography on this piece but decided that the white teardrop was just too much of a glaring contrast to the dark walnut. I think the flower tones that down a bit and adds a little elegance to the piece.

Dont think this will come alive until the finish coats go on. Then the grain should really show up.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Going to have a piece that you will want to show to guests, & why not, looking good!
                        . . .JoeB

Comment

Excellent work, Glenn, and exceeding beautiful.
                          Bill
                          Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Hi Glenn , nice touch with the Flower. That is some Delicate Wood Burning . Gona be a Bute . Merle

Comment

Hi Guys
                              Thanks for the nice comments guys. Pyrography completed It took 5 hours to do the 6 flowers. Hands are not that steady so is a bit slow going. Just have to fix the white sections to the bowl wall and do a final sand then I can start the finishing. That could take a while as it is too cold and wet for lacquer spraying and tru oil will take a couple of days to dry between coats so no easy way out on the finishing.

Can't wait to see how the grain pops when the finish goes on. I think it will come alive. Hope it does!!

Cant wait for some nice warm weather. Has been cold and wet for months over here. But hey it IS winter I guess.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Glenn Jennings; 09-01-2021, 01:42 AM.

Comment

Another beauty about finished! I really enjoy following along with you. Your work is always spot on, but your excitement with what you are doing is very uplifting.

Comment

Working...
                                X