No announcement yet.

Still Life & Street Scene in Relief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Four months have gone by with no progress. Yes, the Covid-19 pandemic has messed up our lives - and another birthday - and a trip to Florida. But now I getting back to this project. . .

I'm thinking I will put the coil of climbing rope over the shoulder of the mountaineer. . .

Comment

Glad to see you're getting back on the tools Phil. Rock on mate,

Comment

Thank You very much, that I will be able to follow Your way through this carvingjourney. Please stay healthy and take care of Yourself.

Comment

Here is a photo of my workspace. Yes, it's the dining room table. It's very heavy and sturdy. My wife prefers that I work in the house, and even encourages me to leave shavings on the floor when we have guests so they know how forgiving she is. LOL

I was going to show the progress on my project, but you might not notice any. But you may notice a few shavings.

Workbench1.jpg

Comment

Hi Phil, now that's true Love. Merle

Comment

Hmm, I didn't see any shavings when I visited, last year. But then, I wasn't looking for them. My wife tells me that I could carve at the dining table, as well. But the beagle mix would probably eat the shavings. Goofball dog.
              Last edited by Dark Lightning; 01-21-2022, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Hi Phil
                So glad to dee you are back into it. Happy carving !!! I'm also very lucky. My wife doesn't get too upset with a few wood chips around my desk in the hall either. I keep it reasonably tidy.

Comment

If you are on Instagram, you should check out @wood.dub's work. Very prolific, so there should be a lot of examples of techniques. Worth signing up for, if just for that alone.

Tom

Comment

Today I had a brief surge of inspiration. The deepest part of the carving has been reached, down the center between the buildings - 3/4" of the 5/4 wood thickness. Next the buildings on either side will be sloped down to that line.

SLSS2 (2).jpg
                    Wow, Phil, isn't it dangerous to carve in your bare feet?

Comment

Hi Phil.
                      Glad to see you are making chips again. I have been keeping an eye out for this project. The style is not unlike single point projection technical drawing that that they taught us at high school. Interesting to see the idea applied to carving. Looking forward to seeing your progress!!!!!

Was thinking that if applied to animal carving it would give an illlusion of much greater depth. Would be hard to get right though I think. I think this has just fallen in the must try basket.

Like you I'm lucky in that my wife has a philosophical approach to "wood chips" in the house hehehe

Happy carving mate.

Comment

Glenn - Yes, this is an exercise in perspective, but Escher also plays tricks with the transition from the still life in the foreground to the street scene beyond. The window ledge in the foreground becomes the street.
                        I've just gotten down to the deepest level of the relief - currently working on it near Seattle.

SLOrig.jpg

Comment

Hi Phil
                          I see what you mean about the foreground becoming the street. Very very clever!! The way he has positioned the books with the container in the centre and used light and the two lines running diagonalt to the right which shade from white at the front to darker as they go into the picture all creates the illusion that it is all on a shelf and you are looking over that to the street from a higher level as one appears to be looking down on the street.

As you say a masterful display of the use of perspective. If you removed the container from the picure the whole thing would look totally wrong.

Glad to see you are making the chips fly. Rock on buddy.

Comment

Hi, Phil! I like your modifications to the foreground.

Claude
                            My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
                            My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
                            My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
                            My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Working...
                            X