Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glenn Jennings
    replied
    Yes I can see how this part of the project could make or break the look of the piece. The perspective of the piece will be determined by it I think. Very best wishes with it Pallin hope it goes well.

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied
    The deepest part is now 1/2", heading for 3/4" After shaping the street at that level, all the surrounding building walls will be sloped down to the edge of the street. This is going slow, but it's a very critical stage.

Slss2c (2).jpg

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied
    Continuing to carve the deepest part of this relief - the far end of the street scene. So far it's only 1/8" deep & will eventually be more that 3/4". I've only worked on it for a few minutes at a time because of other activities. Even the near end of the street scene may be 1/2" deep (behind the lidded jar).
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied
    I was puzzled that you recognized me in the sketch of the still life changes. . . but welcomed the opportunity to give some background info on the mountaineer figure. I am more recognizable in the wedding couple cake topper.
    Last edited by pallin; 08-21-2021, 02:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JerseyGirl
    replied
    pallin I meant the other right (the man and the woman together) but that’s some cool history on you and the mountaineer!
    Last edited by JerseyGirl; 08-21-2021, 08:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied
    Originally posted by JerseyGirl View Post
    Did you carve yourself on the right? Looks just like you!
    Dana
    The mountaineer figure on the right (in the sketch) is based on my past experience. It is loosely similar to a photo of me taken at the summit of Fin Dome, a narrow pinnacle in the Sierras. The figure was whittled in a piece of Aspen limb. It notes the 18 peaks climbed in 1970, the year before the carving was done. Wow, that was fifty years ago.
    On this relief, the mountaineer figure will be in relief.

ClimberB.JPG

Leave a comment:

• JerseyGirl
    replied
    Did you carve yourself on the right? Looks just like you!
    Dana

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied
    First cuts! What's this all about? When a new astronomical instrument (telescope) is put in use, the initial received photons are called "First Light." It's the start of a long and productive process involving something new.

The deepest part of this relief will be where the street turns. The building fronts will slope down to that level. But the still life in the foreground will be in front of that. The nearest part of the building fronts will probably be half the relief depth. So here goes. . .

Slss2.jpg
    Last edited by pallin; 08-19-2021, 02:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Glenn Jennings
    replied
    This is the beauty of what we do. There are no limits to what you can have a go at. Imagination can be set free to run where it will.

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied
    Here is a sketch of the likely changes to the "Still Life" part of this design. The lump left of the lidded jar (center) is a Suiseki, a Japanese viewing stone on carved wooden daisa. It is reflected in the shiny jar, like the playing cards in the original design.

Slss1c.jpg

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied
    The REM sleep inspiration is taking over. I'm seriously planning to replace some of the "still life" on the window ledge. I'll make a sketch to share with you soon. The pipe in the bowl (ashtray) will be replaced with some fruit (figs, citrus, apple). The cards will be replaced with a small Suiseki (Japanese viewing stone). A relief version of my small mountaineer figure will be in front of the books on the right. My wife, Mimi, has discussed the "busy" patterns of lines on book covers and how they can be replaced with stains.

Leave a comment:

• Glenn Jennings
    replied
    Watching with much interest Pallin hehehe

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied
    I received the basswood blank from Heinecke on 8/16/2021. They did a custom glue-up of the 15" square (1-1/4" thick).The blank includes an area of quilting I've not seen in basswood before, but it will not affect my plans for the project. Now it's time to "make some chips & shavings," but first I'll transfer the pattern to the wood.

Slss1a.jpg
    Last edited by pallin; 08-17-2021, 03:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied
    That will add a challenge, Claude, to make one part of a new carving look really old. Perhaps antiquing?

Leave a comment:

• Claude
    replied
    I like the idea of the single figure - it looks old, just like something might be sitting on a shelf by the window.

Claude

Leave a comment:

Working...
X