#5 of the Just carving series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #5 of the Just carving series

Nothing new here except for the character.4" x" x1" basswood.
    C&C are always looked forward to
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    . . .JoeB

Hi! Joe , Your not only getting better , your getting Fast at making these Character Carvings . Good Work . Merle

Comment

Looking good joe . Nice job mate.

Comment

I like this portrait.
        If you don't like to call me wasserretter call me Dirk

Comment

Very nice work Joe.

Comment

Nice work, Joe. I don't normally like a lot of pyrography on a relief carving, but this one really brings out the character.

Claude
            My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
            My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
            My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
            My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Joe - You're settling into a pattern. Tell us some details of your process (without revealing any proprietary secrets). What tools are you using to cut the lines? How are you shaping the wood into the lines? How are you achieving the shadows, for example, under his hat visor? Are you woodburning the lines to emphasize them or using gel stain? When you add color, are you using transparent colors?

I consider these reliefs to be unique in form; maybe the start of a whole new branch of carving.

Comment

Hi Joe
                Looks like you have started something mate . Tutorial required by the look of things. Go for it buddy.

Comment

Merle, Glen Dirk, Ed, Claude & Phil, thank you, thank you, thank you.

Phil the only thing "without revealing any proprietary secrets" is not to bless each carving with blood.

1. After transferring an image to the wood I use a Mastercarver-Micro Pro hand piece with a Komet USA dental bit.it is 1/32" and shape like a AA?AB cylinder bit. Of course, do some stop cuts with knives, but very few.

2. I use 1/8-7/16"~#3 gouges to reduce to feature lines. I also use a 1/8 SC burr with a 1" head and is 2" long. it has a diamond-cut pattern head. By using it slowly I can remove small amounts of wood while I'm trying for the shape/contours I want.

3. The shading under the bill was simple achieved by carving deeper and up behind the bill. Sometimes I think we don't carve deep enough, worried about remove wood unwantedly. I do burn all my separating features, as does the cutting in of the image in step one.

4. Most of my acrylic paints are American, just their standard type of paint. to get the washed-out effect I just add water to the paint. I watch lots of Lynn Daughterty's videos and still follow a lot of his suggestion, can't argue with success.

5. when I'm finished [painting I rub my carving down with a grey fine woven fabric, that I can't remember where I got it . once I've got everything wiped down I usually give a coat or two of an antiquing solution, I saw a receipt somewhere. I use a 1" long squit of either Raw Sienna or Burnt Umber oil paints. I have some small jars 2"Ø x 1" hi. the eventual solution will be a 2:1 solution of BLO/Mineril Oil but allow the oil paint to set in the mineral oil until dissolved.

6. To finish things off a give the carving a good coat of Feed-N-Wax.

Clear a mud, ask any question you have.

Here is #5 paint and pictures of the knives & burrs that I use. one other thing I do is mount some non-woven fabric, cut into 1-1/2" sq. and mounted on a mandrel, I usually add two pads at once, and use with my Pro Flex-Shaft Matercarver
                  How-To Choose and Use Non-Woven Abrasives
                  https://www.nortonabrasives.com › resources › expertise.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 3 photos.
                  . . .JoeB

Comment

He really looks good painted Your instructions were awesome, Joe!
                    Herb

Comment

Thanks for showing the fine result and your way of getting there.
                      If you don't like to call me wasserretter call me Dirk

Comment

Thanks a lot, Joe. The instructions will help others who want to accomplish similar projects. I was interested in your use of stop cuts. We carvers should all share our special tricks.

Comment

Think this is one of your best ones yet Joe. Looks awesome.

Comment

Working...
                          X