It is progressing well!

Leave a comment:

• Glenn Jennings
    replied
    Looking good Tim.

Leave a comment:

• PittsburghTim
    replied
    I finished with detailing the carving today. All that is left is for me to thin the wings down from the back side of the carving, clean up a few fuzzy spots, and paint. It's hard to tell from the picks, but each feather is carved down from bottom to top to create the effect that it is tucked under the one above it.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

Leave a comment:

• Randy
    replied
    Great looking project Tim! I also like you work area and chisel holder.

Leave a comment:

• woodburner807
    replied
    Can't wait to see it finished, Tim. I now recall your wonderful post...

Leave a comment:

• PittsburghTim
    replied
    Originally posted by woodburner807 View Post
    Should become a great carving, Tim. Sure a big one also. When done, will you paint it?
    Absolutely will paint it. Gold with red, white, and blue on the shield and a red tongue. Similar to this one I made a few years back and posted here. https://forum.woodcarvingillustrated...-eagle-carving

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Tim, you are off to a Great Start on a Great Design , should make you Proud when Finished . Merle

Leave a comment:

• woodburner807
    replied
    Should become a great carving, Tim. Sure a big one also. When done, will you paint it?

Leave a comment:

• PittsburghTim
    replied
    Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
    I've never been sure, 16/4=4"? What is the width/height of carving?

It is going to be a striking carving when finished
    The carving is ~23 inches tall, 21 inches at its widest, and just under 4 inches thick. I think 16/4 is roughly 4 inches think. As I started with it planed on its two faces, the actual measurement is 3 7/8. It's always been a little murky to me and I find it's best to plane my own stock if I really need the thickness of any hardwood to match for making a table top or something similar.

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    I've never been sure, 16/4=4"? What is the width/height of carving?

It is going to be a striking carving when finished

Leave a comment:

• Glenn Jennings
    replied
    Nice layout. This is going to look great. Will be watching with much interest. Wood grain can be as variable as the weather. The tough to carve pieces teach us a lot so is well worth doing. Best of luck with it.

Leave a comment:

• PittsburghTim
    started a topic Carving A New Bellamy-Style Eagle

Carving A New Bellamy-Style Eagle

I roughed this out of a basswood glue up of two pieces of 16/4 stock last summer, but have only been working on the details for the past 5 or six weekends as other things permit. Right now, I am happy with the general shape and have contoured the feathers to give the appearance that they are lying beneath the one above. I have to detail the feathers and the head area with eyes and feathers, but am still studying other carvings to pick out a style that I like. The source for this was from a carving by an unknown artist from the late 19th century. It was up for auction last year and I grabbed a few of the images from which I made drawings. I have used this as a resource for many carvings.

I don't believe there is any ethical problem with this as I make these for my own enjoyment and do not intend on selling them.

I must say that this is the craziest grained basswood that I have carved. There are many areas where the direction changes just enough to affect the carving. Once I think I understand the best direction from which to carve, it changes an inch or two from that very spot!

Criticism and/or suggestions are welcome,

Tim

FYI The carving is ~23 inches tall, 21 inches at its widest, and just under 4 inches thick.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.
    Last edited by PittsburghTim; 08-24-2021, 07:17 PM.
Working...
X