Hey Phil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Phil

I'm starting a new carving, though I would show the first three steps I usually do.

The first picture is just the wood with the image copied to it. I use and image reduce/inlarge to the size I want, the reverse image it and copy it to YUP Medium, which is a ransfer medium, you are able to put the printed side down and rub the back to transfer the image to the wood, Need to use a jet-ink printer. I going over the image with an ink gel pen just highlight the image, which is what the picture is.

The second picture is after I've cut in the entire pattern with the 1/32' bit, notice a small pile of dust .

The third picture is after I've dropped the background about 1/2" in a 1" board Dust and slivers a little larger.

Any question be sure to ask
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.
    . . .JoeB

Hey Joe - The photos and description are very helpful for understanding your process. Carry on!
    Questions: How do you decide how large to make the image in relation to the wood? Are all of the pieces in this series the same size. How to you picture these will be displayed? If you sell them, do they need to stay together as a collection?

Comment

Phil, I usually get 4" x 12" x 1" slabs to do my relief carvings on that I'm just carving to keep busy, I've got other sizes of wood, but that is my go-to stuff to carve on, I like to leave about 1/4" besides the for background, so they are all about 4" x 6". Phil, I've never sold a carving that I've done, so now with walls and bookcase full, they just go in a box in the corner of my office/studio. If I carver one that Pam like, she might find a new spot for it or replace one of the now hanging one.
      . . .JoeB

Comment

Joe - Your story sounds very much like mine: never sold a carving, home display space full, wife chooses what carving to replace among current display. . . Keep having fun!

Many of my reliefs are 12" x 15" (1-1/4" thick) because that's one of Heinecke's standard sizes, but I've ordered some custom sizes. I've done some glue-ups of my own, combining basswood or poplar with walnut. Some are 24" square.
        pallin
        Senior Member - Ventura
        Last edited by pallin; 08-27-2021, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Looks like another out standing piece Joe.
          We live in the land of the free because of the brave!
          https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Here it is, carved/background and power buffed/backgrounded. I Will be painting next, but first, I've had a paint wheel for ???. Think I'll take some time now and study it
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 2 photos.
            . . .JoeB

Comment

Wow joe that is very very good You just keep getting better and better. Awesome mate!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X