Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Glenn , the Effort your putting into this Project is showing up Great . Lookin Good , Mate. Merle

Leave a comment:

• Glenn Jennings
    replied
    Hi Dirk
    Thanks for the kind words buddy. So Far so good!! Hope the rest goes ok hehe.

Greetings all,
    Have started the third panel which will have 5 carvings of birds and animals on it. There is no particular theme to the project. I am just picking animals I like that I think I have a chance of creating to a reasonable standard.

This first piece of the 5 took me two days to get to a point where I thought it was ok. Will do some background tomorrow all going well.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Glenn Jennings; 10-07-2021, 12:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• wasserretter
    replied
    Great stuff you are showing.

Leave a comment:

• Glenn Jennings
    replied
    Hi Ed that is high praise from a master carver!!! Many thanks for the kind words.

Leave a comment:

• Nebraska
    replied
    Very nice work Glenn going to be beautiful.

Leave a comment:

• Glenn Jennings
    replied
    Thanks Claude. A big thanks to you on this one for the info you sent. hehehe.

Leave a comment:

• Claude
    replied
    They look great, Glenn!

Claude

Leave a comment:

• Glenn Jennings
    replied
    Hi Merle, Randy,
    Many thanks for the kind words guys. Am feeling a bit more confidant about it now as I think the last one is my best yet. Keep looking at how to approach it at each step of the way and it looks to be working. The squirel head was hard as getting the detail was finicky as a small piece of wood taken off it would change everything.

Greetings all
    The second panel is now finished and has had 1 coat of sealer put on it. Am pretty happy with it.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Randy
    replied
    The carvings all look great Glenn.

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Glenn, put aside your Apprehension no need for it, cause you got the Vision and Hot Pen touch . Lookin Good Mate. Merle

Leave a comment:

• Glenn Jennings
    replied
    Hi Sappy
    Many thanks for your kind words. It was tricky to get the perspective right on this one.

Hi Dileon
    Many thanks for the idea it will be getting a lot of use !!!. Think at some stage I will have to do a Merle and have a go at that gorgeous eagle drawing as well. All help is very much appreciated so again many thanks.

Had a go at a rabbit yesterday, Was approching the thing with a lot of apprehension as I didn't think I could pull it off as the pose made for quite a lot of levels like nose , back of head, ears, shoulder, hip, front and back legs. Some looked very subltle and I could see difficulty in getting all the levels in the 60mmx50mm area that I had for the piece. Then I thought well if it all goes bad I can rout it out and have another go on another bit of wood and glue it in. Then I just attacked it. Think I am beginning to get a better idea with depth layers after doing this one.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Glenn Jennings; 10-01-2021, 04:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Di, you know that Pattern is going into my to do list . Don't know what I'll do with it but I'll try something . I used your Tip and spent a Few Hours looking up different subjects . It brought out a lot of Interest to mind . Thanks again, your still a Peach . Merle

Leave a comment:

• DiLeon
    replied
    Originally posted by Merle Rice View Post
    Hi Di, Boy you just opened a new World for me . That Tip is Great and I'll be using it a lot from now on and sure a lot of Members will do the same . Thank You for Sharing it . Merle
    There are great drawings, for example, this one of an eagle that I got from a google search engine......I found this eagle. Resized him and put him on the wood and either glue it on and cut or trace the object onto the wood. Now I have a pattern to use. Plus I do not have to spend days working on my own drawing plus it saves me measuring points. Also, the shaded areas mean cut deeper....the darker it is the deeper you cut. This can show some great detail in your work depending on the drawing and how much you want to do. But this can be carved relief and lightly burn the feathers. On a photograph, you have to decide what is deeper and sometimes that is really hard to see...but the black and white drawing shows exactly where those lines are. 91fb54a5793a48c870e7e2cac89a00ac.jpg
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Di, Boy you just opened a new World for me . That Tip is Great and I'll be using it a lot from now on and sure a lot of Members will do the same . Thank You for Sharing it . Merle

Leave a comment:

• DiLeon
    replied
    I see your using color photographs, just a thought to ponder but, I recommend you use drawings from a search engine. The reason is if you find a drawing you like it is easier to see the lines, which ones are light and dark. It is also easier to see where the eyes begin and end especially when measuring it. Go to a search engine and put in rabbit drawings... a few hundred drawings will pop up....find one you like. If you want more detail you go to a search engine and click rabbit illustrations. Drawing is so much better than photos... especially when doing relief work and double that for burning.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X