Claude

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    Thanks, Ed

Leave a comment:

• Nebraska
    replied
    Nice carving Joe. Think you have found a niche.

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    Now you're after back pocket money. Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• Glenn Jennings
    replied
    Hi Joe
    Thanks for the info I will try working from shallowest to deepest cut as you do and see how it goes.

Hey Joe if it's a challenge to to live up to the comments. Then you must be rising to the challenge or you wouldn't be getting the comments. You have just created your own never ending circle of positive achievement hehehehe.

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    Thanks, Bill, Always a challenges to live up to the comments received here

Leave a comment:

• woodburner807
    replied
    Great work, excellent detail and great accents, Joe.

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    Chuck, I gave Merle all my spare change the other day, but thank you anyway. The hair almost came out blue, but keep washing with white, whoooo

Leave a comment:

• NoDNA
    replied
    And Joe, I at awe with what you have here . One day I am going have to do something like that too.. Am finnaly getting away from the Wooden Small things to bigger. Must say that Am immpressed with all that hair. And the coloring is great .
    Thanks
    Chuck

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    Glenn, Herb, Eddy & Merle, thank you for your most gracious compliments.

Glenn, I've attached a couple of images, that I use to help me when carving, Even if I'm using an image for a pattern. The side profile is my guide for depth, using a depth gauge to try to control the depth. I go just the opposite of your style of carving. I start with the feature the sticks out the most (maybe the nose). Since when carving a relief carving on1" thick wood, I relieve the background down about half the distance and try to work with 1/2" of wood to get the effect I desire. I also use a double-cut 1/8'SC round nose cylinder burr along with the knives to help the major part of the detain into close shape.

Herb, I sometimes use a 1/8" V tool just to add some crispness to the hair flow.

Eddy, I have a Dremel, Mastercarver, or Foredom type power cover, try getting some knife-edge burrs. I use these along with the 1/16" dental burr to cut my hair in.

Merle, I look in the mirror daily so it's just wishful thinking

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Joe , Realistic looking Hair , well done . Keep getting better Styling Hair and we will need to call you a Barber . Ha,Ha. Nice . Merle

Leave a comment:

• Eddy-Smiles
    replied
    Very nice work. I really struggle with hair on my carvings. I try to make it look swirled but mostly succeed in chipping out the wood.

Leave a comment:

• uvawyo
    replied
    Good hair study, Joe. I have started using a small #11 rather than a v tool for hair

Leave a comment:

• Glenn Jennings
    replied
    Hi Joe
    Just brilliant mate. Amazing detail. Looks a bit like Gandalf the grey from lord of the rings. You rerally must do something with these buddy they are becoming way too good to just be put in a box and stuck on a shelf somewhere.

Your style of carvingis helping with my current project Getting the illusion of depth from a shallow cutting is an art form in its own right and you have nailed it. will be very happy when I have. Am finding it tricky.

I am starting from ther deepest cut area and working back to the shallow areas so I can sort of layer it and get a feel for the shape. What is your approach ?????

I think a tutorial is in order.!!!!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!
    Last edited by Glenn Jennings; 09-16-2021, 11:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    started a topic #12 Just carving

#12 Just carving

Well, this one was more a study in hair. 4" x 6" x 1" basswood, two-part background solution, acrylic paints, antiqued, and a coat of Feed-N-Wax, nothing much new for me.

C&Cs Welcomed
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
Working...
X