Hi Guys
Had a calamity when I coated the coffee table top and have to wait a few days for it to dry right out so I can sand it back down again.

To fill the gap I decided to Make another hunting knife a bit shorter so that it will fit in my fanny pack (or bum bag depending where you come from.)

Made it from a microtome blade which is super high quality high carbon steel. I ground it down to shape with the angle grinder holding it in my bare hand so I could feel any heat building up in it and quench it when required. Didn't get any colour showing on the steel so temper is intact.

Finished honing it to shape on a linishing belt. Then polished down through the grades with wet and dry paper to 1000 grit. Final polish with solvol autosol.

Wanted some real nice wood for the handle but my best high figure grain stuff was too thin for the job so I laminated it using epoxy glue.

I set it up in the lath to drill the hole through the handle for the stainless steel rod to go through. The end cap screws onto that to hold it all together nice and tightly. It can also be pulled apart in a minute or so for repairs should it ever need any. Drilled it from both ends working on marked centres so the hole met up in the middle ( drill not long enough.) Worked a treat.

Then just carved it to shape.

Made the brass guard out of a bit of flat bar I had laying around and found a bit of silver to put on the end cap left over from a rifle butt plate I made a while ago. Just gives it a bit of eye candy factor.

Pretty happy with it. I went for a nice contrast in colours and texture for the wood and metal components. Whole thing took two and a half days.

Was going to put some fancy engraved silver in the walnut handle but decided the walnut was the real feature and it didn't need anything else. Sometimes less is more if you know what I mean.

Can't wait to take her on her first hunt as soon as the covid lockdown comes off.

Razor sharp and ready to go.
Attached Files