Born on a mountain top in.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Born on a mountain top in.......

You want to start it or should I? "What's the strangest place you ever carved?" I really want to know if Cats Pa really carves in Walmart bathrooms?? eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeg!!!!!

Comment

Whoops or should I say double whoops!

Comment

Ah, only in the men's - I never have carved in the women's side. Yet.

Well, ya know, yer sittin' there, not doin' much with yer hands, and ya reach in yer pocket, and there's yer knife and a little chunk of wood...

At least its not as embarassing as admitting that you actually bought something there.

Parker

Comment

Go for it Eddy! It be your thread.

Tom H
          http://beginnerscarvingcorner.blogspot.com/

Comment

Nice job Eddie!

When I'm carving in public, I use a bandana. I got a 2'x2' bandana at the dollar store that I spread on my lap. When I'm done, I just fold the chips into it until I get to somewhere that I can get rid of them. Works like a charm for me. I went with yellow so that any blood will be visible. A cut with a sharp tool doesn't always hurt at first. Hopefully I won't jinx myself by saying that I haven't cut myself yet while using it.

mikeg
            Mike B

Comment

Ed I dont know if that old boy was born here on rocky top in Tn but with his good looks,shoot yea he will do just fine here in East Tn. Plus I have a red-plaid shirt just like his. Good carving plus I like the paint job.

Forrest

Comment

Forgot! That was a good job carving that neat little guy while you was waiting on the oil to be changed. Cause I know it doesnt take them long to change the oil in cars now days! But here in my town, 1st the olde boys have to jack your car up,then course finds the oil pan,then knocks a hole in it,then they slide around skating in the leaking oil and onces its stopped then they have to whittle a corn cob down several times to fit in the hole they knocked in the oil pan. With you caving so quicky you could have carved a log cabin in the time it takes for a oil change here!! The point here,its a good job Ed on this little rocky top guy! Forrest

Comment

Thanks Forest!

Comment

They would be able to change the oil in a whole fleet of vehicles by the time I finished a carving like that and then it wouldn't come out as well.
                    I carve in the car and sometimes on a lawn at the doctors office while waiting for the wife. I like the idea of getting a wastebasket and carving over it while waiting for my appointment and 30 minutes after my appointment time putting the wastebasket back and continue carving. might speed things up..

Comment

Whittle while you wait.What a great way to expose the public to the craft.
                      You just gave me a great Idea.Thanks Eddy.Davy

Comment

Fine job, Eddy. And I have been known to leave a few chips on the floor at the coffee shop, etc. Depending on the weather, I sometimes lean on the wall outside when my wife is in a store. I almost always have a pocket project with me to work on when I get a chance. Sometimes I get dirty looks from clerks and such, but I do try to contain the chips when I am indoors.

I don't think I want to carve in the bathroom, though. I'm not sure which would be worse: dropping a tool in the stool, or explaining to my wife why there is a red blotch on my pants as we go racing off to the emergency room.

In my experience, it is the kids walking by that are the most fascinated. They want to stop and talk, but their parents are always pushing them along to get to the next chore.

I have to tell you, though, I admire anyone who can use a Carvin Jack. I looked at one at Woodcraft a couple of years ago, and cut fingers in three places before I could get it folded up and put away. Found two more cuts twenty minutes later, when I realized that I hadn't plugged all the leaks.

For now, I'm relying on an Old Timer, and trying to come up with a system for a couple of small gouges that I can carry safely.

-Tommy

Comment

Tommy... You've made a point. You have to be real careful when using the Carvin Jack. In fact, the art of opening it is probably the most dangerous part of its operation. However, once open it's not a bad knife. I especially like having small chisel, gouge and V-tool handy without having to haul around a handful of palm tools.

Comment

Working...
                          X