attempting a leopard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• attempting a leopard

Have a problem with my foot at the moment so can't spend long hours standing so need to rest up a bit. Decided to abandon the coffee table for now and have a go at a copy of a leopard ornament using an offcut of the kauri I am using for the table legs. This is my second attempt at a 3D piece and the first was a disaster so hope for significant improvement this time around.

Have managed to get a top and side profileto cut the blank to. If this works out ok I might get some kids plastersine toshape the bears for the coffee table so I can see how to cut them out on the wood. have real problems with 3d perspective.

Doing this piece be it good or bad will also give me a feel for how the Kauri behaves with the tools. Have found it doesn't like cutting against the grain already. I can potter around with this at my desk.

All thoughts on how to proceed are welcome.
    Attached Files

Looks great Glenn!
    Anders.
    ‚Äčhttps://www.etsy.com/shop/BlackBladesNW

Comment

Glenn, The Kauri that I have carved feels like it wants to grab hold of your blade. Strange to carve, and hard.
      If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Might be a time for power carving?????????
        . . .JoeB

Comment

Nice start, Glenn, and an interesting subject...looking forward to the final piece.
          Bill
          Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Shame on me! I didn't have the foggiest notion what Kauri was. Very interesting! Thousands of years curing underneath the ground. Sounds like some of the chestnut logs that they've found in the Great Smokies. The wood is almost as good today as the day it was felled.

Comment

Glenn,

I think you will like having a model in hand. The piece for my sister was my first experienced with having that and it really helped.

Comment

Hi Anders
                Thanks for the nice comment!!
                Hi Tom
                Hard !!! You are not wrong!! It resists cutting like you just wouldn't believe. Even with razor sharp knife all one gets is a shaving like you would get from a plane blade.

Hi Joe
                As I was waking up this morning I came to the same conclusion. I think power carving is the only way to go

Hi Bill
                The wood is just about the same colour as a Leopard so all Iwill need to add is the black spots hehehe Always supposing it all goes ok that is.

Hi Eddy,
                This log I'm working with is milled kauri though the table top is swamp kauri. This piece of milled wood had baeen in a roof for 80 or so years so probably hasn't got a single drop of moisture left in it. Man it is hard to work. It planes ok and that is about it. Probably more suited to furniture or large carvings where you can take a decent swing at it with the mallet. On the small stuff like this it would just shatter and breakout all over the place.

I love chestnut it is just beautiful to work with. Don't get a lot of it over here so grab any I can find.

Hi Ed
                I think you are right at least one can SEE what it is supposed to look like that is why I think making a model out of clay will be a huge help as you can turn it in all directions to see how it should look from all angles. Working from photos leaves a lot of it to guestimation!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn Jennings View Post
                  Have a problem with my foot at the moment so can't spend long hours standing so need to rest up a bit. Decided to abandon the coffee table for now and have a go at a copy of a leopard ornament using an offcut of the kauri I am using for the table legs. This is my second attempt at a 3D piece and the first was a disaster so hope for significant improvement this time around.

Have managed to get a top and side profileto cut the blank to. If this works out ok I might get some kids plastersine toshape the bears for the coffee table so I can see how to cut them out on the wood. have real problems with 3d perspective.

Doing this piece be it good or bad will also give me a feel for how the Kauri behaves with the tools. Have found it doesn't like cutting against the grain already. I can potter around with this at my desk.

All thoughts on how to proceed are welcome.
                  Glenn, this is right up my alley, I love it and you have a great start. I like Bears and have done Penguins .. Usually I start out ,,depending on the hardness of the wood, taking a bit off with my straight blade first to test . Then if I need power with the sanding 1/4" to get the shapes of the hips and shoulders.. I have a soapstone site that impress's the way an animal body looks,, on a bear. Keep in touch,, I am always looking, and willing . I love to work on "3-d" animals
                  Chuck
                  Chuck
                  Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Comment

Hope you are better soon Glenn. Looks like you are off to a great stat on the leopard.
                    We live in the land of the free because of the brave!
                    https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Hi Chuck
                      Thanks for the advice. Interesting as what I have found so far is that -

High speed burrs work but very slow going. Cutting across end grain even with a razor sharp chisel with a light tap from the mallet explodes the wood fibre and one gets breakout all over the place.

Did find the knife with a slicing action rather than pushing to be the most effective on end grain.

Trying to cut down the length of the grain just produced bits splitting out.

Found cutting at right angles to the grain direction to be most productive.

So after 3 and a half hours I decided it was the wood from hell in terms of small carvings so will have to have a change of plan for the coffee table legs I wanted to make as bears climbing trees. Want to finish the leopard so that I don't waste the wood.

Hi Randy,
                      Thanks mate. This one is going to be a battle and a half I think. This one is very tough going.

Hi Guys
                      This is the result of 4 hours working on the rough out with knives chisels and burrs. It is very hard going.
                      Attached Files
                      Glenn Jennings
                      Last edited by Glenn Jennings; 12-14-2021, 01:46 AM.

Comment

Hi Guys
                        Is taking a lot of work to rough this out. Am taking a little off on one leg of it at a time until I get it pretty much right. Have found you don't have to take a lot of wood off to change the " look " quite a lot. Is slow going The difference between the perevious post and this one is about 12 hours whittling away at it. One leg to go to have the rough out pretty much sorted then it is down to sandingto final shape and detail.

Criticism most welcome as is ideas to make a better job of it.
                        Attached Files

Comment

If the time required to get your desired is precious to you, Think what a treasure you will have when finish
                          . . .JoeB

Comment

Hi Joe,
                            Hehehehe the time is just an indication of how difficult this particular piece of wood is to work with. I lot could go wrong yet so still not sure if it will be treasure or trash hehehehe.

One thing is for sure it wont be any good for carved table legs so it looks like I will have to turn the stuff on the lathe instead,

Comment

Wow Glenn, looks like you have a great start, looks great.
                              Mark N. Akers
                              My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

Working...
                              X