No announcement yet.

Attempting a leaping cheetah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking fine, Glenn, and like the composition.
    Bill
    Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn Jennings View Post
      Hi Guys
      Well I have got most of the roughout done and have managed to get the head looking reasonable I think. Am looking to get the muscle structure and tendon detail as close as possible to being anatomically correct as I can on this one.

Have got most of the head detail in place and I think the pyrography will bring this to life all going well.
      Glenn, I just now saw that CAT,, great job on the muscles and the attitude of the way you have done the whole cat. I don't know how you are getting the facial lines so good but looking at them so far soo good. I do bears and one of the things I learned first was" tried to" was the muscle groups and the face.

You make me want to toss my dancers and go back to some animals.. Well maybe. One thing you my look at is the stomach/chest might be a bit "chubby".
      Cheers
      Chuck up 6 more " in the powder
      Chuck
      Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Comment

Hi Anders, Joe, Bill,
        Thanks for the nice comment guys!!!

Hi Chuck,
        The face was cut to shape witht he flexcut knife then sanded 180 grit. Most of the face detail has been done with very fine rifler files. The fur was done with a needle pressed into the end of a piece of dowel to make a fine scriber. This I used with a bit of pressure on it to get the fur detail.

I started with a lot more wood on the head than I needed as i re-shaping is requires 2 or 3 times before I get to a point where I think it is as good as I can get it so I lose quite a bit of it in the proccess. Seems to work doing it that way though. The proportions tend to sort themselves out.

You were right about the body being a bit chubby and I have trimmed it down qhite a bit.

Am only doing 1-2 hours carving a day at the moment. ****ed body is stiff as a board and issues with the foot are a work in progress. Am finding my concentration is not holding up that well. Think the pain killers and anti-inflamatory drugs are making me bomb out a bit. AlI want to do is sleep. Sheesh!!!!

Comment

Hope the injury heals soon, I know that I take that dang stuff as the last resort.
          . . .JoeB

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn Jennings View Post
            Hi Anders, Joe, Bill,

Am only doing 1-2 hours carving a day at the moment. ****ed body is stiff as a board and issues with the foot are a work in progress. Am finding my concentration is not holding up that well. Think the pain killers and anti-inflamatory drugs are making me bomb out a bit. AlI want to do is sleep. Sheesh!!!!
            This is a major issue with me. When I went to chronic pain management classes by our local trauma one hospital which was three months twice a week by local doctors. I took the class twice one as a refresher. They were trying to get us to try other methods vs the standard high-grade pain meds. I highly recommend people in pain either go to these kinds of classes or....get a book and try out all the methods....some work and others do not. One thing they major noted two things affect pain major....one is not drinking enough water and the second was sugar...sugar major inflames the blood cells so it is a no, no for anyone who has pain issues. If I am in pain big time it is because often it is one of the two. Diet really matters big time especially eating enough of the good green veggies... I do not know what is in them but I do not get enough of them, the pain levels do go up. I really have to note often that I am drinking enough water...that is just water super little coffee and the other things. Right now the weather is affecting me and doing too much on outside projects and trying to push through it. And I am sure the water ..I do not drink lots of it during the winter as I do in the summer...so I have really had to watch my intake.

. Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

This is an anatomy model for artists to show where all the muscle/bone placement they are always great for helping see the various parts of the animal without the fur. It might help you some. d830b2e54f48718ce052e142d860dc7c.jpg

Comment

marcus-whinney-17.jpgAnother artist anatomy of the head...of a Cheetah. Also watch I am Cheetah on Youtube. It is about a couple in Russia who have two cats as pets....one mountain lion and other one is a cheetah. They post regularly so there are lots of videos. They have them in their house...and they act just like regular house cats. It is a good way always to see them up close for study. I watch this channel often I love his Puma Messi....it is amazing to watch his channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3t...RjstVvkJbmItoA
                DiLeon
                Senior Member Hawaii
                Last edited by DiLeon; 01-07-2022, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DiLeon View Post
                  This is an anatomy model for artists to show where all the muscle/bone placement they are always great for helping see the various parts of the animal without the fur. It might help you some. d830b2e54f48718ce052e142d860dc7c.jpg
                  Di,,
                  That is just great ! When I started soapstone with bears, penguins the instructions had a lot of this type of diagrams included. I will grab this one and save it..
                  Thanks and be well as possible.
                  Chuck
                  Chuck
                  Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Comment

Originally posted by NoDNA View Post
                    Di,,
                    That is just great ! When I started soapstone with bears, penguins the instructions had a lot of this type of diagrams included. I will grab this one and save it..
                    Thanks and be well as possible.
                    Chuck
                    Today you can get tons of anatomy things for artists on the internet. And also you can get tons 3 D sculptures for anatomy in the mail. Computers have really pushed up the help for anyone who needs these.

Comment

Coming along nicely Glenn.

Comment

Hi Joe
                        Thanks mate !!!

Hi Di
                        Thanks for the advice and the pain controll and for the very cool demo piece on the cheetah body. The problem these days with getting stuff in from other countries is that it takes forever as there is very little freight flights coming into NZ at the moment. Will trawl the net and will watch the link you sent me Many thanks.

Hi Ed
                        Thanks Buddy!!!

Comment

Hi Guys
                          Spent today doing the pads on the front feet and shaping the front feet. Ihave done this with some power carving but mostly with rifler files.

I made a wedge shaped piece of wood with a very fine tip that I wrapped 400 grit sandpaper over to sand the feet down for best results. This was only about 3mm wide if that. Works well for finishing small stuff.

Haven't done any carving for days. I got the 3rd shot covid booster and it just floored me. Arms, legs, shoulders, and neck have been aching realy badly to the extent I could hardly walk and had no show of picking up anything off the floor. Have thrown myself back on antiflam drugs just to get some relief for a couple of days. Is slowly coming right after 2 weeks.
                          Attached Files

Comment

You are an artistic perfectionist. The pads on the bottom of the feet, will they ever show?

Well done anyway. you know I got some, I believe they were called "sanding Twigs" they are about 3/8x6x3/32". They are coarse grist but they come in handy, when the abrasive gets warm off, I just snip the warn piece off, if I want a pointed piece, I just at whatever angle I want.
                            . . .JoeB

Comment

To be a perfectionist isn't a failure! Your cat willbe/is great. I donot know what kind of wood you use, have to google​​​​​​. Please be healthy again, all the best from Austria, greatings Yolande

Comment

Awesome work, Glenn...great detail.
                                Bill
                                Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Working...
                                X