Face practice project 6”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Face practice project 6”

Decide how to get some face reps in these will be 6” high planning to just do the faces about back to the ears.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Hi Ed. I got this book for Christmas. I have just glanced though it but it looks like good information. The focus of the book is on faces and improving them. I know of Vic Hood the carver. The books demonstration is American Indians but I think the principles are the same on any face. Like I said I have not really read it. So, this is information not a recommendation.

IMG_2344 (002).jpg IMG_2345 (002).jpg IMG_2343 (002).jpg
    We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
    https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Ambitious project, Ed, but know it will be well done.
      Bill
      Living among knives and fire.

http://www.texaswoodartist.com

Comment

Aye, This is behind just carving series, practice, practice & something a little different each time. Will be watching your series with great interest.
        . . .JoeB

Comment

One great thing about these guys, there are thousands of pictures out there for each one, to use as references. Should be fun. I need to do a few practices on facial features too....one of these days.
          . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Looking forward to it ED !!!!

Comment

Looking forward to watching this progress Ed. Any thoughts on how you'll be doing John's glasses? I just broke out my wife's soldering iron today to make a pair of sunglasses for a little bust I did awhile back. Lynn Doughty has a great tutorial on making glasses on YouTube.
              Anders.
              https://www.etsy.com/shop/BlackBladesNW

Comment

Originally posted by 4ND3R5 View Post
                Looking forward to watching this progress Ed. Any thoughts on how you'll be doing John's glasses? I just broke out my wife's soldering iron today to make a pair of sunglasses for a little bust I did awhile back. Lynn Doughty has a great tutorial on making glasses on YouTube.
                My plan is to make them with same process used on Einstein’s glasses but prepared to use wire if the aren’t thin enough. Also consider carving reflective lenses with matching small relief carvings but don’t think I will go that way.

Comment

Just a suggestion when I have to improve areas....sitting down and drawing them helps me get the form and shape right ...the more I practice part of the form of thing the better I am. Lots of drawing lessons on the net on parts of the body. Then I can do it better when I go into carving it. I am also noting that I need to do this a lot more than I do now.

Comment

Just another resource that's been around forever.

http://carverscompanion.com/Ezine/Vo.../Schoolar.html

BobL

Comment

Thanks to all for your suggestions and resources I will check them out.

Di, So sweet that you think I can draw. I will give it a try but with only a few exceptions my past attempts have not gone well.

Comment

So I bought this 4 hr video of Norbury carving a face. Going to give his process a whirl on the first face so probably doing John or Paul first so I wont have to account for a mustache.

5DFE866E-AB2F-4EEC-A740-5480DFA46173.jpg

Comment

Using Norbury’s process about 2.5 hr at the bench.

61EA2F39-CF78-49F9-89B2-E0345CF4B3BF.jpg 673E55D7-11C7-4248-90FC-C7A2D618221C.jpg
                          Last edited by Nebraska; 01-15-2022, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nebraska View Post
                            Using Norbury’s process about 2.5 hr at the bench.

[[/URL]
                            Can you do heavy mallet work with it?

Comment

Originally posted by DiLeon View Post
                              Can you do heavy mallet work with it?
                              Don’t know, never used a mallet heavy or otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                              X