No announcement yet.

Face practice project 6”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ed, looking forward to following this post,awesome job so far.
    Mark N. Akers
    My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

Ed, I have 6 #3 Flexcut on my carving bench at all times. From a 1/8"-7/8". using both sides, the convex side for removal of wood and the concave for smoothing and rounding. Of coarse an array of other knives, but the #3 are the first and last used.
      . . .JoeB

Comment

Good progress for only 2.5 hours toil ED . !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn Jennings View Post
          Good progress for only 2.5 hours toil ED . !!!
          That’s what I thought too.

Comment

Great start Ed. Ian Norbury Is a good choice to learn from. I have Two of his dvd’s.
            We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
            https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

I think I made a couple errors in the process but it is a practice piece. Still plugging away and learning from my mistakes.

7FA384B5-49C6-4759-8C1A-75E612D7BFBC.jpg

Comment

Hi Ed taking shape nicely I think.

Comment

Looking good. And you say you are just learning?
                  Joe

Comment

Originally posted by JoeVM View Post
                    Looking good. And you say you are just learning?
                    Aren’t we all trying to make the next project better than the last? I’m a self taught carver this is my first time trying to use someone else’s process for a carving. It feels a little awkward .

Comment

I have almost all of Ian's books, and videos. I find his work amazing. Great person to learn from. I think in sculpture work we are all self-taught....sure you can learn basics from a teacher but beyond that, your own Do you use your riffler, rasp, and files often in this part of the process?
                      . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Originally posted by DiLeon View Post
                        I have almost all of Ian's books, and videos. I find his work amazing. Great person to learn from. I think in sculpture work we are all self-taught....sure you can learn basics from a teacher but beyond that, your own Do you use your riffler, rasp, and files often in this part of the process?
                        One of the things Ian mentions in his video is that he sands of the tool marks so he can see the carving. I have always had to do that as well. The hand stitched rifflers have been very handy for that smoothing process. I’m also trying to capture the more subtle curves and dips in the surface on this piece they work nice for that as well.

Comment

Trying to get the left right then duplicate on rifight.

A1D5F9A3-7DB5-4967-8C40-639C29C21E63.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Nebraska View Post

One of the things Ian mentions in his video is that he sands of the tool marks so he can see the carving. I have always had to do that as well. The hand stitched rifflers have been very handy for that smoothing process. I’m also trying to capture the more subtle curves and dips in the surface on this piece they work nice for that as well.
                            I sand as I go also but use sandpaper so I can see what the next step is...although I do use sandpaper. I will have to drag out the files and rifflers and try that way out,....seems like they would work better in the process.
                            . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

I use them all, just getter done
                              . . .JoeB

Comment

As for self-learning...one can go to uni to earn a degree in a discipline, but the brutal fact remains that one still has to wrestle through the problems for themselves. If any skill could just be poured into our heads, think about how easy life would be. I beat my head on all those math and physics texts to get my degree. I remember my first class in physics (mechanics) at a junior college. I complained to the department head about how incompetent the instructor was. He simply told me to study the text. Same for carving- watching someone else carve doesn't get your wood removed properly, or stop you from getting cut.

Comment

Working...
                                X