My Dancers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Dancers

I have been working on /at these two for a few weeks. The wood That I chose I thought was a bit softer than it turned out to be and it seems that as I progress towards (the end) the wood seems to be tempering harder. Now as I am going to ask and have not asked before any hints. This is my case, the details are getting harder to make, thus my tools are burning the spots I wish to clear out.
    I am posting a couple picts, of both sides and the example that I chose to follow.
    20220107_123440danc.jpg 20220107_123356damcers.jpg 20220107_123411dance.jpg 20220107_123440dancer.jpg These are about 6" high and the ceramic side is the one I had to "make up" I am thinking to A) beat myself up and keep working on it or B) scrap it and find a new piece of wood.
    Comments are happily taken. I do have to move her skirt around his front leg as you can see in the photos I have drawn a line for the cut he has his front leg pushing her skirts'.. Any ballroom dancers out there?
    Thanks
    Chuck
    Chuck
    Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Chuck, interesting that you talk about "tempering harder". I also have thought sometimes that power carving hardens the wood. Thought maybe I was just imagining things, although It seems I read once that people use to put their point of wood shears in the fire to harden, I've always wondered.

As to the burning, you might slow down the speed or run your burr in reverse and slowly strop it.
    . . .JoeB

Comment

Now I’ve done a couple carvings in redwood and as beautiful as it is hope to never go down that road again. It is just nasty to work with the hard growth ring rolled and folded the edges on two OCCT gouges. That’s why no longer own any. But those two projects aside I won’t waste my time fighting bad wood my vote is scrap it!

At 6’5” 280 I may not be a prototypical dancer but we East Coast, West Coast, Cha Cha, Two Step, Waltz and Rumba. But none those compare the Tango!

Comment

Hi Chuck I like the project. The burn is the rpm of your burr. As Joe suggested turn back the rpms if you can. I had a issue with some sycamore I use for a dog head. I used a mediums course burr at a slower rpm to remove the burn marks and finish shaping the came back with a finer diamond burr to smooth it out the small sanding flexable.disc's also work well for clean up.
        We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
        https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

It's looking good. This piece has a lot of movement. You could always just go for it and use this as a practice piece if it doesn't turn out how you would like.
          Anders.
          https://www.etsy.com/shop/BlackBladesNW

Comment

Finish it. Ignore fuzzies and blemishes. Learn the wood. Learn how you want to see the movement, the postures, the clothing and positions of the dancers.
            Brian T

Comment

Just my experience in various different woods is that I can only use some kind of burrs..other burrs can either not cut the wood, chip it out and etc. If the burr will not cut it, held there long enough can burn it. I have had woods that are soft in one place and really hard in other places. The only suggestion I have is when things start to go this way....is to say that a burr or a bit does not work with this wood and so I need to try another kind of burr or go back to hand carving.

One piece of wood I had ...would not take almost any kind of burrs, and hard to cut....I ended up using sanding drums and other methods of sanding down. What will work with one kind of wood ...may not work at all on another. Another outrageous wood was ebony...she did not take to the power tools at all, that one was very slow chipping away with chisels. Koa wood does not like the power tools...it will burn. If I use power, on them, I have to do it in shorter periods of time and not in one area...if she heats the wood up ...I got a dark place. I find what kind of burrs work at various speeds on one piece is not the best selection for the next.

If I was you... I would try to use knives and tools for details. I would use diamond burrs or diamond files to clean the areas. I would try to use sanding drums and flap wheels for a clean-up and watch you do not burn it this will take some testing out, I would use wet-dry sandpaper for the funky wood. You can also form and area more by using coarse grit sandpaper. I would use stones to polish down fuzzies. Beware of holding it too long in one spot or not at a high speed as people suggest. If this is punky wood I would be using only fine kutzall burrs on it. In other words you need to test what works and what does not work.
              Last edited by DiLeon; 01-08-2022, 09:23 AM.
              . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Hi Chuck , you got a Good Project going and the Hard part is done ( Rough Out ) . The Burning of your Bit is like Joe and Randy said , your Speed is to High . Take your time and do the Detailing the best you can and Finish it . I think you might Surprise yourself . I like it so far . Merle

Comment

I admire your ambition. Be a shame to scrap all that good work.

Comment

I think it’s lovely and look forward to seeing it finished!
                    My Website: www.carvingjunkies.com
                    Instagram
                    : https://www.instagram.com/carvingjunkies/
                    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/carvingjunkies/

Comment

Thanks all, I woke up at 3 am thinking about just what most said, turn down the speed. My normal Dremel broke down and in the shop 'at Dremel' and I have the other a cheepy unit from HF but it works, the draw back is that it is foot control. The deal with using blades is just that the areas are so small ..

Ah, I picked this one and I will carry on. Grudgingly .. Eddy.. I have looked at this for 3 days,, with a blow torch in hand?? HAHAaa. So much time in it too.
                      And Joepaulbutter,, thanks for the idea on the cleaning..

Thanks again all and I will keep one looking at this and start a new project till my tool gets back from the shop..
                      Chuck
                      Chuck

Comment

Glad to hear you aren't giving up on this project. Are you going to paint these carvings, if so that will cover up the burns?
                        . . .JoeB

Comment

Very interesting couple...curious to see how it will grow "under your hands". Too much a pity to stop...

Comment

I have a dancing couple on the bench at the moment. Mine is in walnut. After a couple of carvings in basswood that turned out to be less than prime wood, I'm loving the way walnut is cutting. Except for roughing out with the bandsaw, I only use hand tools, keep them sharp, lighter cuts. Works for me.

Comment

OK OK, you all have encouraged me..

Firstly a suggestion that got me , was to slow down the bit, That was accomplished by " I just did that this am" I hook the foot control unit up to my wood burners controller, that worked ok now if it doesn't burn that out.. And I was able to sharpen the carbide bits, I put them in my hand drill and ran it in reverse, scrubbed the bits on a 1200 wetter dry paper.. And I will be soaking all my bits in a puddle of denatured alc. for a couple hours later too. The "burned "areas are much cleaner ..

Now Steev ,I wish I had started mine in Walnut /black walnut as I real like a good walnut, but have not found a good hunk any where in the NW yet, or even Soapstone easier to work with.. Hmmnnn That's a good Idea. I wonder if I have enough left?

And Joepaulbutter I still have not figured out the know how on paint. I would love to see her dress in a nice Yellow, shoes to match, and Red hair.
                              His pants, I'd like to have a checkered brown and green, shoes dark brown and his jacket a nice lite brown, His hat of course is checkered like his pants. HA BUT here inlys the problem, my painting skills and my shaking..

Cheers to all and stay warm

Chuck
                              Chuck

Comment

Working...
                              X