X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NoDNA
    replied
    Originally posted by 4ND3R5 View Post
    They are looking great. Reminds me of some Scandinavian dancing carvings I've seen.
    Thanks, I am just waiting for them to get settled down, so I can finish them up, as you can see they are going at it.
    Chuck

Leave a comment:

• 4ND3R5
    replied
    They are looking great. Reminds me of some Scandinavian dancing carvings I've seen.

Leave a comment:

• NoDNA
    replied
    Originally posted by DiLeon View Post
    In that area,if you want to dig out the putty.... I would use really fine sawdust the oak that you used mixed with wood glue. When dry sand it down it will be darker than the wood but perfect for that area.

Another method...would be that...Yes, a lot of crack filler will not take a stain, but most will take a fixative spray or other finish and you can paint super light a matching acrylic paint or even a very light stain put just on that area with an artist brushes. And another layer of finish. I do not stain a whole area often just in special areas where I do not like the color or want a darker shadow.

I also stain with oil mixed with BLO ...or I use Mini wax stain often as it is transparent and it does stick to most things....again use a brush and go super light and make sure just to stain the filler areas and not the surrounding wood.

Wood craftsmen use CA to fill holes and sand them down. They also use epoxy tinted with pigments...and sand it down....of course, they use high gloss finishes which you can not tell that it is not a part of the wood, even though it is a different color often darker. If your filler is lighter than the wood you can see it at times. Wood does have darker spots in it.

One great thing about repair work if you take time to fix it, no one eyeballs the whole thing enough to see it. Unless it is glaring at you. Repair work takes time so go slow it is not a fast slap it in the crack moment.
    Thanks Di, I have ben in town,45 miles one way, you may relate? anyway thanks for this info.

Yes I am slowly doing this as it is hard wood and I have been on it thinking and re-thinking for 2 months or more, on and off with some Mahogany projects and small dogs.(basswood) Oh I picked up a chunk of Basswood 4x9x38" the other day at a furniture store" they make furniture there". And a piece 1.25x14x28" Mahogany not real cheap but good for me. Future projects.
    Take care and thanks for the photo this AM.
    Cheers.
    Chuck in Frozen WA.

Leave a comment:

• DiLeon
    replied
    In that area,if you want to dig out the putty.... I would use really fine sawdust the oak that you used mixed with wood glue. When dry sand it down it will be darker than the wood but perfect for that area.

Another method...would be that...Yes, a lot of crack filler will not take a stain, but most will take a fixative spray or other finish and you can paint super light a matching acrylic paint or even a very light stain put just on that area with an artist brushes. And another layer of finish. I do not stain a whole area often just in special areas where I do not like the color or want a darker shadow.

I also stain with oil mixed with BLO ...or I use Mini wax stain often as it is transparent and it does stick to most things....again use a brush and go super light and make sure just to stain the filler areas and not the surrounding wood.

Wood craftsmen use CA to fill holes and sand them down. They also use epoxy tinted with pigments...and sand it down....of course, they use high gloss finishes which you can not tell that it is not a part of the wood, even though it is a different color often darker. If your filler is lighter than the wood you can see it at times. Wood does have darker spots in it.

One great thing about repair work if you take time to fix it, no one eyeballs the whole thing enough to see it. Unless it is glaring at you. Repair work takes time so go slow it is not a fast slap it in the crack moment.

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Chuck, Oak Wood was not a Good choice but you made it Work . Merle

Leave a comment:

• Nebraska
    replied
    Looks great a dancing couple is on my to do list. Thanks for posting.

Leave a comment:

• NoDNA
    replied
    AN up date on my couple and an addition to it a dog watching them dance. Those that asked about the wood, I believe I found the box,, It looks like I took it out of my Oak pile and was thinking Poplar. And after digging further a chunk of White oak . Well. anyway folks I will do something here and luckily it has been fairly easy to work with except their left side( in the first of my post here) where the arms are not ?right for me. I had filled them out with wood putty and now wish to remove that, ANY suggestions on repair is welcome here. IF I can save the full grain I can stain it or? But the putty will not take a stain. Thanks all. And I did make her skirt wrap his leg here.
    Chuck 2Dogndancers.jpg

Leave a comment:

• NoDNA
    replied
    Originally posted by pallin View Post
    I was also curious about the wood. It has a strong pattern of vertical bands - maybe Douglas Fir? The subject is also very attractive. Keep it going and keep us involved!
    No sir, I cannot for the life of me remember what wood . I don't have any " plain" wood, I was thinking it was Poplar, but it "Turned on me " Like the car in the movie what Charlotte? The wood is very very tight and the grain is so interesting. But I just have to doit.!

Just finishing a Wave in Mahogany, kinda artsy and not a regular "carving" . I'll show it off when I get it coated, right now at 1200 grit and going for 2000. Similar to my one I did a few years ago in Mahogany that one was a Mobius that didn't make it, I followed the instructions~(8=() if you wish I'll repost it.

Cheers Chuck

Leave a comment:

• pallin
    replied
    I was also curious about the wood. It has a strong pattern of vertical bands - maybe Douglas Fir? The subject is also very attractive. Keep it going and keep us involved!

Leave a comment:

• NoDNA
    replied
    Originally posted by Merle Rice View Post
    Hi Chuck, you really Picked a Challenging Subject with the Different Levels and Angles , Oh! and Hard Wood, but your Effort and Determination pulled it off. Merle
    Thanks Merle, it has always something I have done , either pick a real simple thing ,,OR the darndest . This is a real challenge though and fun too as the smaller areas get smaller. If I had chosen Cherry or even Black Walnut I think it would be finished by now. But dang it I started it and I will finish it somehow.. Then sit back and say gee that was fun.
    Chuck

Leave a comment:

• NoDNA
    replied
    Originally posted by tioga paddler View Post
    Chuck
    What is the size of your dancers? What kind of wood did you use?
    The size is almost 5-1/2 " tall total. The wood? I believe it is HARD.. It WAS A STRAY PIECE i HAD IN A PILE AND I DID A CUT WITH A BLADE IT FELT GOOD, Then .

and we'll see how it comes out. Thanks for asking.
    Chuck

Leave a comment:

• NoDNA
    replied
    Thanks to all for your comments , and yes, Steev, there is still more to do. I cannot remember why I picked this wood. But it looked so good when I was cutting it out the hand drawn pattern. The start of the idea came from a ceramic piece that was in a box and only one sided. The arms and legs, I have had to guess quite a bit.. Hopefully it will either be finished next month or a hidden part., HAHA . I have other items working too and all in some kind of woods. ?? How did I get into this anyway?
    Chuck

Leave a comment:

• Eddy-Smiles
    replied
    It's going to be a beautiful piece of art when it's completed.

Leave a comment:

• Steev
    replied
    I hope you take this as well meant constructive criticism, but some more work defining arms from other arms and bodies, legs from dresses would really add some depth and definition.

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Chuck, you really Picked a Challenging Subject with the Different Levels and Angles , Oh! and Hard Wood, but your Effort and Determination pulled it off. Merle

Leave a comment:

Working...
X