Story Poles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Story Poles

I don't own any crests or totems, so I won't carve any of those kinds of things. However, everybody is welcome to carve story poles. Maybe they describe lives or adventures (like the new Edenshaw pole in Jasper National Park = A Tale of Two Brothers.)

I've been chewing away at a few of them for years. A short story pole (24"?) and a pair of 64" x 5" poles. The butterfly wings will be ( I hope) glue ups of thin cedar shingles. Wish me luck on that one.

Anyway, local newspaper came over and did a piece.
    They got all of the details correct, which is refreshing.

This is a copy of the page forwarded by the author, not too clear but you get the idea.
    You can only guess how tedious the caterpillar carving has become.

story poles GOAT.jpg
    Brian T

Well, congrats to the notable Brian Thair.
    . . .JoeB

Comment

Nice article Brian, ..... you look to be enjoying yourself in the basement.
      Wayne
      If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

That sure is an interesting concept.

Comment

Sandra is/was writing a series showing what Robson Valley people are doing. I'm just one of many.
          I do enjoy myself in the basement. It's totally finished = even a full kitchen. I keep the custom carving benches in there with the indoor gardening stuff. I had to sell the Harman pellet stove so there's no 6' x 6' x 6' pile of pellet bags, either.

The kitchen drawers separate all the different kinds of shotgun shells. The lounge room is now my library/music room. My back is to the island bench in the shop (miter saw, scroll saw, band saw, drill press = nice work station.) There's a walk in cold-room, adjustable vents, even butcher hooks.
          The tub in the bathroom (off the shop) is up on 5 brick-high pillars so you don't need to bend very far to wash off game or stinky dogs.
          Brian T

Comment

Glenn: there are quite a few different kinds of "totem" poles here in the Pacific Northwest.
            Some have no totemic figures at all like a story pole or a welcome figure. Mortuary and house posts and totem poles usually describe your family, your heritage, who you are and who you were.
            Reading from the bottom up, the totem poles always stood in front of your house and faced the ocean or river.
            Brian T

Comment

Nice article, Brian!

Claude
              My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
              My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
              My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
              My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Really enjoyed reading the article. It feels good to be noted for your work.....now you're famous for miles around. The story poles are very interesting ... I like the heritage part. And got a laugh about where your shoot gun shells are.
                . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Thanks be to Sandra for getting everything, all the details, correct without ever asking me a question.
                  She's an incredible listener. I just carved and rambled on about what I was doing in my head and on the wood. Planned nothing. As tedious as they may be, I like the stories in those poles.

She insisted on taking off her winter snow boots inside my front door.
                  She's probably still picking cedar shavings out of her socks to this day.
                  Brian T

Comment

Great write-up, Brian! It's always good to see one of our band get recognized, and you're an admirable ambassador for carvers.
                    Arthur

Comment

Nicely done article, good to see you recognized for your work and its purpose.

Comment

Really enjoyed reading the article Brian. Glad you shared it. Congratulations.
                        We live in the land of the free because of the brave! Semper Fi
                        https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Great article. Have you thought about sending some photos and a description of your work in to Woodcarving Illustrated? A number of us here on the forum have had our work featured in one issue or another. They're always looking for ideas for future magazines.

Comment

I'll pitch the WCI magazine article idea to Sandra. I'm done writing.
                            Brian T

Comment

Hi Brian
                              Have attached a photo of maori carved poles that you would find in many of the meeting houses. This piece is in one of the museums. Thought you might like to see it.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Glenn Jennings; 01-28-2022, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X