No announcement yet.

Hiking/Walking Stick--question too....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiking/Walking Stick--question too....

It's a 1 1/2" square by 48" long walking/hiking stick I'm doing for practice--it's my first stick. I glue laminated two pieces of 1"x2" pine bought at Lowe's home improvement. I'm carving a twisted rope so far. I'm thinking of carving the handle(the squared end) with a whipped rope end--which is a smaller rope wrapped around the larger rope to keep it from unraveling. Eventually I'll figure out what I'll do with the other end--probably taper the twisted rope down small enough to get a cane tip over it. The carving is being done using only a knife--my Butz knockoff that I made.

My question is this: I love carving pine--anything wrong with doing a glu-lam as I described above and using it for a walking stick or a hiking stick--and maybe even canes in the future? I used Elmers carpenter glue--which I'll be substituting Titebond III from now on.

BTW--You can see pics in this post:
    http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...tml#post131932

Thanks,
    Bob L

Re: Hiking/Walking Stick--question too....

The elmers will be stronger than the wood when set.....and the only thing wrong with that might be if the grains go different ways, could be tougher to carve...other than that.....go for it!
    "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Thanks Dave. So, far the grain is cooperating. I was concerned about the strength of the glue and then the wood. But as you say the wood will give before the glue and the two pieces glued together seem pretty stong and stable.

Bob L

Comment

Might be cool to carve an eye splice into the top and "whip" the bottom end.

Parker

Comment

I'd feel more comfortable using it out in inclement weather using Titebond II or III but I guess if you don't get it wet it out to serve you well enough. Which Elmer's Carpenter Glue did you use? Exterior application?

As far as the carving pine goes, with that grain it's really going to be pretty, especailly if you put a stain to it. Then a couple of coats of poly (use exterior and you can stop worrying about the Elmers) and it will shine like a diamond in a goat's butt!

Keep us posted on your progress.

Comment

Might be cool to carve an eye splice into the top and "whip" the bottom end.
            I have the thought in mind to include knots, whipping, splices, etc. But I wanted to see if I could get the twisted rope down. Right now it's a bit squarish, but as time goes on I'll get it down. I'm pretty familiar with the appearance with the rope and knots since I trained quite a bit in heavy rescue--moving patients, equipment, and just about anything else using 3/4" rope, block and tackle, snatch blocks, jib arms, a-frames, etc. A lot of fun and a lot of work. Anyhow, that's how the rope and the walking stick idea came about--combining what I know and wood carving.

Which Elmer's Carpenter Glue did you use?
            I didn't even notice the small label "interior" until now. Oh well...guess I'll be using the Titiebond III from here on out for the glu-lams.

As far as the carving pine goes, with that grain it's really going to be pretty, especailly if you put a stain to it. Then a couple of coats of poly (use exterior and you can stop worrying about the Elmers) and it will shine like a diamond in a goat's butt!
            I was looking at the grain and wondering about staining it--maybe with cherry. Any suggestions? As far as shine, I've been using Rustoleum lacquer high gloss spray on my pins, and it really shines up nice. It goes on easy, dries quick, and three coats and you're finished. That doesn't rule out Wipe On-Poly. I use the satin on most of my tool handles. I like that a lot.

Thanks for your input.

Bob L

Comment

How about a nice Monkey's Fist for the top? You might consider doing a little burning on the stick, rope fibers, before finishing it. It might add to the illusion. Well done.

Bob
              Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Bob

Thanks for your continued support. You might remember about a year ago when I posted about carving a walking/hiking stick in poplar:

http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...ck-cane-10082/

Well, I gave up on the poplar, and switched to pine--"much more better". I abandoned the architectural spiral pattern with beads for twisted rope. In a word, I simplified, and now I like what I'm doing.

Great idea--I'll keep the monkey's fist in mind. I'll have to practice on a piece of scrap when I get a chance. First, I want to get the rope pattern down, then I'll add in the knots, splices, etc. I think it might be be too late to glue-lam wood onto the stick now for the knots, spices, monkey's fist, etc. with respect to having a workable wood grain to carve in.

Since this is a practice stick, I might try burning the yarns in--I'm not too crazy about pyrography. I've been thinking about a way to do the yarns, but I haven't come up with any ideas other then to take a micro tool, or a riffler and cut the "vees" between the yarns--that'll keep me out of trouble for a while! I'm be trying for the effect shown in the image I've attached.

I might even start the second stick--at least glue it up. I'm finally finding something "big" I like to do. I been stuck in a rut doing small pins, magnets, caricatures--it's okay, but I like doing sticks better.

Thanks again.

Bob L

Comment

Working...
                X