Bench Backrest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bench Backrest

Been working on a backrest for a bench. Believe I am at the point of cleaning things up and calling it done. Critiques are most welcome. Had some issues with splintering if I didnt watch closely what I was doing. Anyways here are some pics. Let me know what you think. This is red oak. I will post pics of the entire bench when done.

Re: Bench Backrest

Great looking job Juhani , that will be a family airloom for sure.looking forward to the finished pics.

Al

http://picasaweb.google.com/al.hillis/WOODCARVINGSMINE

Comment

Great looking backrest, beautiful piece of wood, can't wait to see the finished bench.

Dan

Comment

Nicely done Jonathan!!
        For being a new carver you have done an excellent job,,,and in a challenging medium to say the least,Oak.The lines you have chosen work very well with the backrest as well as flowing nicely with the grape/vine theme. I like the little flourishes you put on the end of the vines. You handled the leaves very well ,,they have a naturalness to their shape and movement,,in such little depth.The little tendrillls spiral convincingly and the grapes ,considering the thickness came out well.See how handy those flowing "S" shapes are? One curves off the top of the grapes sweeps up into a curl,,,and the other takes off to continue the line.....really cool!
        You should be very proud of yourself and your client must be thrilled.

Now I can't wait to see the rest of the bench.Wasn't so scary now was it?

Comment

Thank you all for your kind comments. Once I got into it a bit it went smooth still a bit of cleaning up with removing marks from stop cuts that went a bit deeper than expected but the next one in line has oak leaves and acorns which should go even better. Looking forward to it already. The finish that was requested was a clear finish no color at all. I am planning on using tung oil on this first one.

Comment

Beautiful job. Anyone would be pleased to own that.

Comment

Heres a couple pics of the assembled bench. It still needs a couple plugs, sanding and a couple coats of oil. Bench opens for storage.

Comment

That is really beautiful.

Comment

Well done. The carved work gives it a nice effect. That's a bench well worth keeping.

Bob
                  Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Very well done, Jonathan. Hard to believe that you do not carve longer. Beautiful piece.
                    Fred

Comment

Looks good. I will call you later.....

Comment

I sure enjoyed seeing this. Lovely design, and the bench looks like something that I would treasure. Great work.
                        Thanks for showing it.
                        Thor
                        Steve

Comment

Simply
                          Simple and lovely . I am looking forward to seeing this finished . Outstanding piece.

Comment

Wow! Really nicely done Juhani. We have an old painted bench from my daughters room that we'll be using, but this bench would look so much better in our entry when we complete our renovations. (Painting, new red oak flooring, refinishing the oak stair treads, and new wooden handrails. We happy!)

I have to echo Mark's comment about the design nicely fitting with the sweep of the curve for the backrest. Beautiful!! After we complete paying off all the work we're having done, I may have to look you up to commission one for us. That is - unless I can find the time to come up with a design and carve my own version. ;-)

Well done!
                            ChuckT

Comment

Thanks again for the kind replies. I do have it finished now but I haven't gotten any pictures of it yet. I will post them when I get them taken. The next one will be started soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X