UPDate on my Dancers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPDate on my Dancers

Well so far I found after cleaning in my shop the wood piec that I cut my pair out of is If you can't read it is Myrtle Wood No wonder I was having a fun time at it. And
    also I have started painting them so far the first coat and the paint seems to be raising , I have put on a white prime and am having a heck of a time getting the right coloration for skin. But not discouraged. Please let me know of my needs Thanks all!
    2022mrytle.jpg 2022mrytel2.jpg
    Chuck
    Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Hi, Chuck, the Colors sure brought them Alive. I think that your White Prime doesn't like the Colored Paint your using. I feel you need to remove the Paint and start over , this time don't use the Primer. On the Flesh Tone I use BLO on the raw wood . Apply it and let set for 2o Min. and wipe it off , that's it . After Painting,Seal it and done. That's my 2 cents , Merle

Comment

Chuck, might try buffing it with a polishing/ buffing burr. I use 3M Scotch-Brite Pads, cut in 1-1/2" sq. pads, and mount them on a mandrel. โ€‹ you can get them in about 6 different grits.
      3M Scotch-Brite Pads

I often buff my painted carvings with the white color pad before adding the finish coats. Seems to level out the paint

Some of the coarser ones I use while carving just keep the fuzzies cleaned up.

Just my 2ยข worth
      . . .JoeB

Comment

Nice one Chuck, and I have some Myrtle wood to use up...thanks for the reminder.
        Bill
        Living among knives and fire.

http://www.texaswoodartist.com

Comment

Originally posted by Merle Rice View Post
          Hi, Chuck, the Colors sure brought them Alive. I think that your White Prime doesn't like the Colored Paint your using. I feel you need to remove the Paint and start over , this time don't use the Primer. On the Flesh Tone I use BLO on the raw wood . Apply it and let set for 2o Min. and wipe it off , that's it . After Painting,Seal it and done. That's my 2 cents , Merle
          MEEEEe too. And it will be a bugger , I have set them aside for a bit to get the gumption to go at them And as I was doing the painting.. I was falling apart. Thanks for your input bud..
          Chuck

Comment

Fellas, the inner parts are so small that any real clean up is a quandry, And I did what I always caution against,, speed. I hurried it.
            Chuck

Comment

Hi Chuck
              looking good mate. There was an item i think by Mark Akers on getting good flesh tones. Suggest you drop him or Di a line as Ithink either one of those two people will be able tohelp you with that one.

For some clean up jobs I cut thin slivers of wood about 2-10mm wide and 2-3mm thick with the end shaped like the edge of a knife blade. I then glue a fine grade sandpaper to it so it ends up looking a bit like a small nail file.

I find these are great for getting into some of the more tricky spots like cleaning up the cut that shapes the two arms on your dancers. You have a lot of control over it as well so you only take wood off the bits that you want to without taking wood off detail that you want to keep.

Joe's pads sound great for the larger areas.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
              Glenn
              Last edited by Glenn Jennings; 06-03-2022, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Glen, the pads work well in tight places as well, so much easier using a power head rather than elbow grease
                . . .JoeB

Comment

โ€‹ 2022danceclea.jpg โ€‹
                  Hi all, here is what I have done sooo far on these two. After re-reading several notes and great advice, I decided to wet them down with a bit of water/50/50 Achohol then that loosened the paint well, and with a "scrubber " Thanks Paul !! I found my old small clamps and have used it in the tight spots. So far so good,fingers cramping but more success than I thought I was going to have.
                  I think I might leave her shoes and socks though,,
                  Cheers
                  Chuck
                  And I do not know how all these pics got here haha
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by NoDNA; 06-04-2022, 01:42 PM. Reason: Pics??
                  Chuck

Comment

Good job, about ready to give it another go
                    . . .JoeB

Comment

Chuck, I just about finished a Myrtle wood carving and it sure was hard wood. After all that work, I decided not to paint it since it is kind of pretty.
                      Joe

Comment

Originally posted by JoeVM View Post
                        Chuck, I just about finished a Myrtle wood carving and it sure was hard wood. After all that work, I decided not to paint it since it is kind of pretty.
                        GREAT THINKING!! on no paint .. Pictures??? And I will remove all the paint sooner.
                        C
                        Chuck

Comment

Great pattern, stylish!

Comment

Originally posted by MDWine View Post
                            Great pattern, stylish!
                            Thank you Sir , my pattern was ceramic piece from my mother inlaw's collection we have. And only one side is in actual show, so I had to "do the other " .. But fun either way, I have a problem "painting" so I decided to remove all and ? re-start or leave blanc. They are still in a box waiting for my higher up to make my thoughts more clear. Meanwhile back to teh birds and stuff.
                            This happy guy is out of Mulberry 20220614_154307.jpg
                            Chuck

Comment

Working...
                            X