Ever recarve pieces?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever recarve pieces?

Some of you may recognize this fella! This was the first cane I ever carved, a dragon, and while okay, I just wasn't happy with him. So I went to work with my trusty Foredom and Foredom micromotor and burning tool, and recarved the head completely. Gone is the big snout and nostrels, shaved off all the outlandish teeth and gave him a new set of scales more in keeping with a dragon. Carved scales into the back as well, but left the front neck scales, as I thought they were pertty good as is, just reshaped and burned them a bit. The eyes are narrowed and the forehead redefined, though I left the two horns basically as they were. The teeth are new, shaped and inserted, Lynx teeth! Geez, what a job getting that furry little bugger to hold still while I pulled them!!! LOL And you worry about cutting yourself carving! Wink

The wood is Cherry and you can see how much the sun has darkened the wood on the seam scales left along the sides. Just have to finish reshaping the shaft and refinishing that and I'll be happy. Just have an oil finish on the head, but will put several more layers on yet.

Bob
    Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Re: Ever recarve pieces?

Bob,

I have not recarved anything...but if I could make it turn out as fantastic as your "re-carved" cane, I would begin tonight. Very beautiful indeed, love your scale work and the head especially with the exposed teeth, great looking cane for sure. Bill

Comment

Hey Bob, my scrap box is full of recarved projects. First I carve it, then I don't like so I try again, this time it goes into the bucket. Dang, I have yet to get one that will pass the test (I'm workin on it tho, not gonna give up). Tell me, is that a one piece cane, or is the handle attached?

Cliff

Comment

Bob
        I liked him before , but now well...awesome!

Garry

Comment

Cliff... keep on trying, never give up, it comes with practice. The cane is two piece, (actually four piece, cause I laminated the shaft and head to get the thickness) and the joint is just visible on the scaled neck. I drill the head and top of the shaft and use a dowel, well glued.

Thanks for your comments folks, I like the new look much better than the original.

Bob
          Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Great looking Dragon cane! And yes, I have re-carved things a few times. Not one of my favorite things to have to do, though.

Comment

Wow Bob! I do remember it, and see the improvements.
              Last week I had 20 feet of 6" wide carved trim down and was cleaning it to use on the outside of my new house. I carved it several years ago for my old house, and thought at the time, it was pretty good. Now, it is very primitive compared to how my carving skills have changed.
              I "almost" recarved it. But, I decided to leave it be, and painted it instead.
              I must say that the improvement was evident, and it will grace the front of the exterior of my house soon. It will be up high above the porch roof so no one can get a close look at it either.
              Your recarve was worth the effort. It looks great.
              Thor
              Steve

Comment

Originally posted by squbrigg
                Some of you may recognize this fella! This was the first cane I ever carved, a dragon, and while okay, I just wasn't happy with him. So I went to work with my trusty Foredom and Foredom micromotor and burning tool, and recarved the head completely. Gone is the big snout and nostrels, shaved off all the outlandish teeth and gave him a new set of scales more in keeping with a dragon. Carved scales into the back as well, but left the front neck scales, as I thought they were pertty good as is, just reshaped and burned them a bit. The eyes are narrowed and the forehead redefined, though I left the two horns basically as they were. The teeth are new, shaped and inserted, Lynx teeth! Geez, what a job getting that furry little bugger to hold still while I pulled them!!! LOL And you worry about cutting yourself carving! Wink

The wood is Cherry and you can see how much the sun has darkened the wood on the seam scales left along the sides. Just have to finish reshaping the shaft and refinishing that and I'll be happy. Just have an oil finish on the head, but will put several more layers on yet.

Bob

Gee, I wondered what happened to the "missing lynx"!
                "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Bob .. I have seen this cane before and I for the life of me cannot understand why you dont like it .. I think it is a beautiful cane and so original ..

I think you did great detail on the scaling and over all .. I know alot of people that would be proud to own such a piece ..

Sometimes were our own worse critics .. Anyway ,, beautiful job to me ..

Gene

Comment

Bob....I'm with Gene.....loved it before and I couldn't see what was wrong with it, so I put 'em both up on the screen so i could observe them together. Definitely a lot of work re-carving this, and now I don't know which one I like the best. You have sufficiently confused me...but a great job on the re-do! Bonnie

Comment

Working...
                    X