Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Decorative nameplates- for kids from 5 to 95!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decorative nameplates- for kids from 5 to 95!

Well, I was working on santa's hard 'n heavy then all of a sudden I have found myself temporarily sidetracked and wandering down another carving path. The santa's were just complex enough that I wasn't sure if I was gonna get all the Christmas gifts made for all that I wanted to provide... so I decided to draw upon something that has always been a big hit: decorative nameplates.

This is a relatively simple craft that I require all students in my woodshop program to make when they first come to class. It's a great way for me to assess their woodworking experience and to introduce them to the scroll saw, the drill press, the woodcarving set, the woodburning pens, and many of the small hand power tools.

First I help them sketch out their name on a piece of wood and show them how to saw it out using the scroll saw. When done they learn to make it uniquely theirs by adding woodcarving or woodburnings to the nameplate. I encourage them to think about the things that they care about in their own lives then to find a way to put them on their nameplate. A lot of the kids will also make these personalized nameplates for members of their family and their friends.

Anyhow, if you're looking for a striking "personalized" gift for someone that you care about then may I suggest a decorative nameplate. They only require a few simple tools and can actually be cut out with a simple coping saw if you don't have a scroll saw. Be sure to first make a list of the things that are unique to the person receiving the nameplate so that you can sketch them onto the nameplate and they will be forever grateful for your thoughtfulness.

The first three nameplates that I have attached as pictures are for co-workers.
    1. Sue has a history as part of the 60's hippy generation so I put a peace sign, flowers, and a Forrest Gump smiley face on hers.
    2. Celia is a teacher so I put an apple on hers along with a book for her extensive educational background. Her favorite insect is butterflies so there's a monarch burned in.
    3. Kaye lives on a 200 acre farm with her family and loves horses so there's a horse, barn, tree, and flowers.
    I colored the nameplates with their favorite color with very thinned down acrylics, lightly woodburned the art, then painted it. After sawing it out all you need is a pocketknife so maybe a decorative nameplate would make a nice gift for someone that you care about this Christmas.
    Dave Brock

Re: Decorative nameplates- for kids from 5 to 95!

On top of being a great carver you're an artist too? Will you never cease to amaze us? Nice work Dave!

Comment

What a clever idea!! I think you just helped me with my Christmas list... *grin*

Comment

Thanks for the idea. I have had requests for name pates but just scrolled them out on the scroll saw no where near as creative as yours will try it next time I get a request. Thanks for sharing

Comment

Thank's for looking everyone and glad that I helped spawn a few ideas for gifts as I've gotten so many off the board. I forgot to mention that I carved them from basswood cut to 1" thick by 2" tall and as long as the name might be.

Thank's again and a very Merry Christmas to all !
          Dave Brock

Comment

Dave
            Nice job.My wife is all way onto me for house numbers.You gave me and ideal.How long did it take for you to do each one?
            windsong

Comment

Dave .. What a neat and great idea ... love the colors and painting ..

Thanks for sharing ..

Gene

Comment

Dave, you come up with the neatest ideas. Those are terrific! I love the way you made each one of them personal. Hummmm, I'm sitting here wondering if my husband has a scroll saw somewhere out in our cluttered garage........ Thanks for sharing!

Comment

What a nice idea and so simple to make. Well done Lightningbolt and thanks for sharing.

Bob
                  Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Thanks again for the comments. Windsong: Of course it depends on the number of letters in a name but I'd say the average 5 letter name such as David would take roughly half an hour to saw and carve out, then maybe another half hour to pencil-in the selected art and lightly woodburn and paint it.

After cutting them out I pack them in the cargo pockets of my pants and work on them during any lag time that might present itself during the course of my way too busy days, so I'm not sure exactly how long it takes. It's just amazing what a fella can get carved during a day if you know how to "milk" those little windows of opportunity inbetween our so-called "real" lives.

By the way, I'm now working on the names of Rusty, Gideon, and Rosy so I sure hope that none of them have found me here on this forum!
                    Dave Brock

Comment

Another neat idea Dave...

and very creative too, sounds like you had alot of fun carving those...Bruce

Comment

I finally got back to finishing the nameplate Christmas presents that I started a couple of weeks ago. Man, have these been a lot of fun to carve, then decorate and to be honest, putting some thought into how I want to personalize each nameplate for each recepient has been as much fun as the carving. I generated a list for each person then jotted down what makes that person "unique" then came up with some art objects to woodburn and paint onto their nameplate.

See if you can get some idea of their story by looking at the nameplates pictured below.They are:

Rusty: He lives in the woods in a log cabin, likes to eat way too much, and is a very big book worm. The little man with glasses is a pretty close portrait of him.

Rosy: She is a very caring and loving person who is a role model "mom" for the over 60 boys who live at our camp. She washes their dirty laundry every day and cleans their messy dishes after every meal. Rosy has a heart of gold and loves the kids like they were her own.

Gideon: He is one of our teachers and our resident naturalist. He loves studying Native Americans and has a vast knowledge of the natural world.

Each December the kids are making birdhouses in the woodshop (homes for our feathered friends) and they really got excited about making nameplates for their own family & friends when I showed them mine. If they got a quality birdhouse completed and had some extra time I helped them to get going on making their own. It's been a long time since I've had a line-up at the scroll saws but there was a BIG traffic jam today!

Merry Christmas!
                        Dave Brock

Comment

Nice work, Dave, and great gifts! also good projects for the kids. Well done!

Al

Comment

What a neat idea.. and I love the colors.. They should love them. I have just got to learn how to use my bansaw.. and overcome that fear of getting cut! Who wouldn't want one of those? That's very special..Charlotte

Comment

Thank's for the comments and glad that you liked them!

As for using the bandsaw Charlotte, just build up your confidence in using it gradually but do take steps. It is a power tool that demands respect as I still recall being in a hurry when learning to use it and allowing the blade to barely touch a finger tip and it sliced me just like it were a razor blade. Fortunately it was just a mild contact but it's never happened since.

The main two things to remember is holding the wood firmly and always apply pressure to cut in a way that if you were to slip that your hand would never go towards the blade. I often "plant" my forearms on the table and push the wood with my fingers, then re-position and repeat until the cut is complete. On larger pieces I will ofter get the cut started then when there's enough of the wood on the rear side of the blade I will grasp with both palms and move my arms as "one" unit pulling the wood through the blade.

Actually I cut the nameplates using the scroll saw which is MUCH more forgiving during the event of human error.
                              Dave Brock

Comment

Working...
                              X