New ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New ?

This is my first try at doing this kind of carving. I have done a few bottle stoppers from the books but this is my first solo with full lips and a chin. It come out a little to flat and I made it to long and wide for the stick but I guess you can get away with that in caricature carving. It started out to be a wood spirit but I changed my mind after rough out just to see if I could do it. I would like to do this kind of realistic someday.I do know how to get to carnegie hall,I just don`t know if I can get in.Vince

Re: New ?

I would say for your first time, you did a great job!
    "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Hi Vince, congratulations on your first realistic carving, and believe the more you do the better you will get. Keep up the good work!
      Kathy

Comment

Nothing wrong with that carving Northwind...however, it depends what you were going for. If your like me, I start out with an idea and then find out I am running out of wood so I have to change the facial features. Chins are not as easy as they appear. It's much easier to hide them under some whiskers so I credit you for taking the challenge. He almost has an Easter Island idol look with the prominent nose. The proportions will come everytime you carve so do like me and call them all woodspirits at the beginning because I'm told that there is no "correct" way in how to carve a woodspirit. The realism your going for...and I struggle with...will come eventually. You've taken the first step so keep on plugging like the rest of us. Hammer
        Patrick

Comment

vince,

i agree with hi-ho for your first attempt it is very impressive.

bart

Comment

Vince even though it was your first time, it doesn't look like it. The finish turned out perfect also. Good job, Bird carver

Comment

Vince:
              Great job on the walking stick.
              Mark N. Akers
              My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

Nicely done and the finish came out good also. Like the light highlites.
                Jolly good showing mate

Comment

Very nice carving! I really like the shape of his nose and mouth! Great job!

Blake

Comment

Great job Northwind .. for a first try .. he is very good ..

Gene

Comment

Working...
                    X