My stack of projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My stack of projects

I was recently encouraged to post this image of pieces that I have been working on this winter.

I'm hoping that I resized it correctly. If not, I'll try again later.

Thank you for taking a look.

And thank you for your encouragement...and you know who you are! ;-)

RussL.

Re: My stack of projects

Gadzooks RussL,,you've been holding out on us!!!You've got some simply stuning pieces there. Do you have any plans for them to be installed somewhere,,do you just have fun making pieces,,,or are you practicing and gearing up for some big carving display? It appears as though you have sets of some of the designs that's why I ask.
    You should have been showing these all along. What is the source of your designs if I may ask.They really show some beautiful lines and forms.
    Excellent work,,,just don't keep us in the dark anymore.Work like this has to be shared.

Comment

hi russ, i am amazed. you did wonderful work. and i was so surprised to see you seem working same as i do. i do for getting better in carving, do only for exercise, and am so humbled...but i really enjoy seeing your pieces, i hope you share more frequently :-)

Comment

Now that is something I love to see. Someone who knows the meaning of practice!!! The secret of an "overnight success", practice, practice, practice. Well done Russl. Some great pieces there!!!

Bob
        Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Hi RussL, you realize winter isn't over yet, so you can add to that wonderful body of work you have there. Thank you, for sharing
          Kathy

Comment

Thank you for the kind words, folks.

Bob has it correct, it's all practice. I just carve to carve.
            My sources for design are the couple of dozen carving books (second-hand mostly) and instructional videos I have acquired over the past year.

I choose designs that represent a challenge to my current level of ability and that are pleasing to my eye. I have a great deal to choose from in all the reference material that I have accumulated.

I always have at least a couple of pieces at various stages of completion, from patterns stuck to the piece of wood they will eventually be traced on to pieces waiting for a final finish...and everything in between.

I'm never bored down in my tiny shop, er, studio! ;-)

Thank you all again for your help and encouragement.

All the best,

RussL.

Comment

Wow, you really surprised all of us! Your last post if I remember correctly, was the leaf - what a progress. You really have been practicing - just great.
              Fred

Comment

Thank you, Fred.
                Yes, practice is what I do. I try to carve every day, the more the better. Once I get started it just draws me in and the time flies.

Ha, ha, ha. My leaf! That's right, I *did* post a picture of my leaf!
                It hangs above my carving bench with its status as my first completed piece burned onto the back of it.

I'm touched that you remembered my leaf.

Thanks again,

RussL.

Comment

Russ .. I dont know much about decorative carving .. but I know what I like ..

Those are all great looking pieces ..

Gene

Comment

Working...
                  X