Oak barn beam in progress...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oak barn beam in progress...

A friend of mine gave me some really nice indian relics that date to 2800 years old. In return for the kind gesture I thought I would carve him a deep relief of his hero James Longstreet. I found a fella that tears down old barns and actually got this piece off his wood pile. I think it kinda looks like who it is supposed to. I still have to finish his eyes and his kepi.. Any thoughts or comments are always appreciated..Bruce

Re: Oak barn beam in progress...

Hey Bruce, lookin good, great hunk of wood ya got threre, it's a winner for sure, thanks for showing, it's always great to see someone elses work.
    Cliff

Comment

That is going to be sweet Knothole, can't wait to see it finished.

...and thanks for the idea of using old barn beam, that's great! now I gotta find a local source...

Comment

Just how hard is that wood? Really nice carving and a great gesture for your friend.

Scott

Comment

Your friend will really love this fine detailed carving you did plus the olde barn beam was such a great idea to carve it on! Such a neat idea from at neat carver-------->>>>YOU-------->>Bruce! Nice work! Tn~

Comment

TN, very nice, and if that is the picture behind your lite avery good likeness. Feb

Comment

Bruce, what a terrific carving, very skillfully done and the barn beam is really nice too. Love your work!
              Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by slivers&dust
                That is going to be sweet Knothole, can't wait to see it finished.

...and thanks for the idea of using old barn beam, that's great! now I gotta find a local source...
                Thanks for the kind words Tony, I have a pointer for you if you do find a source for the beams be very careful of the old broken off nails. I found two of them the hard way and they sure take the edge off if you know what I mean...Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Hagerty
                  Just how hard is that wood? Really nice carving and a great gesture for your friend.

Scott
                  Thanks Scott, the wood really is`nt to bad to carve as long as my tools stay sharp. A couple of problems that I have had are - where the wood has naturally split and the grain on the right side(looking at the piece) is really tight. Bruce

Comment

Thanks Tn, I do appreciate the kind words. By the way did you ever finish your honey bears?? Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Mottles
                      Bruce, what a terrific carving, very skillfully done and the barn beam is really nice too. Love your work!
                      Kathy
                      Thanks Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by tucker1931
                        Hey Bruce, lookin good, great hunk of wood ya got threre, it's a winner for sure, thanks for showing, it's always great to see someone elses work.
                        Cliff
                        Thanks Tucker I can`t wait to have it finished...Bruce

Comment

Very impressive. Nice use of reclaimed wood.

Comment

Bruce, your carvings always look so real or should I say life like.

do you think old oak is a little softer or easier to work with than say oak that has been dried for only a couple of years

I pulled a peice of old oak off the wood pile and it carves very well

Comment

Working...
                            X