X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WIP Untitled Face

Size: 7 Inches Tall, 5 Inches Wide, 4 1/2 Inches Deep
    Butternut

Hi all, my latest project 'Untitled WIP', just kind of winging it here. Didn't do any pre-checking just went a head and drew the facial landscape markings. Sorry I don't have an image of that part. I had this block of butternut I purchased at the Creede Rendezous last July 2007. Wanted to test my new Rock carving holder so I thought why not a face.
    I've included some stages and where I'm at right now. He's at the ugly stage, but I hope to make him much, much better looking. LOL
    As always, I appreciate your thoughts and comments.
    Kathy

Re: WIP Untitled Face

hi kathy, just drop in to tell you i am watching :-) thanks for sharing wip, it is always so much fun to see how others proceed... nice organised start...cant see ugly, my carvings look same in this stage, its natural when you try to find the shapes in wood...maybe you want watch out that you get enough depth for the nose, it looks kind of flat right now. might be the angle of foto though

Comment

Hi Doris, I think your right, the nose should stick out further. Or, I could just say he ran into a tree. LOL..........yep, will fix that and thank you for your keen eye. Much appreciated.
      Kathy

Comment

Kathy .. he's looking good .. butternut is hard to get detail in .. but if you add a little more depth to those lines under the nose .. your nose and cheeks will stand out more ..

just a suggestion .. I like to cut deep .. in the face lines ..

no matter what .. he's going to look good ..

Gene

Comment

Originally posted by gene messer
          Kathy .. he's looking good .. butternut is hard to get detail in .. but if you add a little more depth to those lines under the nose .. your nose and cheeks will stand out more ..

just a suggestion .. I like to cut deep .. in the face lines ..

no matter what .. he's going to look good ..

Gene
          Hi Gene, thank you for your suggestions. I have noticed it's hard to see your cuts and if they have been done correctly. I think I prefer basswood and cottonwood better. I agree, it's a matter defining the facial features. I plan tomorrow to make the very cuts you suggest. Will post again when I'm further along. Thumbs Up Thanks for your help.
          Kathy

Comment

Didn't take long for you to get into another project Kathy. Your carving does not have far to go. Looking good.
            Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by Irishman
              Didn't take long for you to get into another project Kathy. Your carving does not have far to go. Looking good.
              Patrick
              Hi Patrick, yeah and I got some 8x14x4 inch basswood blocks coming from Heinecke next week. LOL Actually, had started this one before I finished my 'Runs With Coyote' This is my first experience with roughing out a face from a block using the flat side. I think that is one of the reasons I didn't get my depth right away. I got a chance to really dig in and get some carving done today and I think I made good progress. Will post an update in a few days.
              Thank you, for your interest and as always your encouragment!
              Kathy

Comment

looks really good there Mottles

Comment

Hi errol, thank you and I appreciate you taking the time to look and comment. I'll be uploading some progress images this afternoon.
                  Kathy

Comment

Kathy, he's looking good already! I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Comment

Interesting project - will be fun to watch the progress. No worries about the "ugly" beginning, it is always just a piece of wood when you start.
                      Fred

Comment

Banjo & Fred, thank you both so much for taking the time to comment on my carving. I have made a lot of progress and I'm anxious to share it with you. But, my computer imaging program is having problems recognizing our camera's. So until we get that straighten out I'm just holding the images on my camera. I'm very close to being done with the carving part. It's been another good learning piece....I don't think we ever totally have the perfect carving do we or so we think? LOL
                        Kathy

Comment

Hi Kathy ,good for you starting another project and it is looking good too , I love Butternut but it is hard to carve ,we had to cut 2 down ,there is a canker killing our nut trees.
                          I don't know something I am not doing right, my days go by and I don't get into "my corner" lol how do you manage????
                          Alice
                          www.WoodCarvingIllustrated.com
                          www.FoxChapelPublishing.com
                          www.ScrollSawer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Alice in Wonderland
                            Hi Kathy ,good for you starting another project and it is looking good too , I love Butternut but it is hard to carve ,we had to cut 2 down ,there is a canker killing our nut trees.
                            I don't know something I am not doing right, my days go by and I don't get into "my corner" lol how do you manage????
                            Alice
                            Hi Alice, thank you for your nice compliment. For me I'm not sure I like Butternut all that well. I love the color, but it's hard sometimes to see the detail I'm trying to achieve. Couldn't be the carverSnorkel LOL
                            Sorry to hear about your tree's, will you be able to use them for carving?
                            Well, let's see I do try to make time for carving each day. It might be only an hour or as much as 4 hours. I bundle up, turn on the heater in the garage shop and start whacking away. Warms me up pretty fast. When I was painting I tried making an appointment with myself. So four days a week I painted from 9am to 12pm and 1pm to 4pm. I let the phone pick-up calls for me....well it lasted about a week.
                            Stay positive and make time to carve. Many times I tell myself I don't feel like carving today. Then I go out to the shop, set down at the work bench, pick-up my carving and before I know it time has passed. So sometimes even though we don't feel like carving or lives demands get in the way. Try and steal away some time to carve even if it's only an hour. You will feel so much better for taking that time for yourself.
                            Kathy
                            </IMG>

Comment

Looking good Kathy!!!
                              Skip

Comment

Working...
                              X