Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WIP Untitled Face

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Re: WIP Untitled Face

    Kathy ,just lovely, the color is beautiful ,I am so glad you did not paint it, I used to love to do only big pieces ,somehow this looks like on Kathy, you are really doing wonderful work
    keep going
    Alice
    www.WoodCarvingIllustrated.com
    www.FoxChapelPublishing.com
    www.ScrollSawer.com

    Comment


    • #32
      Re: WIP Untitled Face

      Your hooked now Kathy. We'll only be seeing a lot more faces posted from you now. You sound discouraged about your results - don't be, as it turned our really well. The eyes look fine as does the rest of the carving. He has a very distinct look. Your putting out some nice carvings so keep at it.
      Patrick

      Comment


      • #33
        Re: WIP Untitled Face

        Hi Alice and Patrick, thank you both so much for the encouraging words. Alice, I couldn't paint this beautiful color of wood. Patrick, yes I'm a little discourage only because I know I can do better. I really like doing faces, and there will be more.
        Kathy

        Comment


        • #34
          Re: WIP Untitled Face

          Kathy, if you were trying like your tital says you sure captured that emotion, he just looks like he is going to burst in tears any minute.

          Feb

          Comment


          • #35
            Re: WIP Untitled Face

            very nice job i like the finish on there also.........must..get the....rock.....the ...rock.....is...good...take ....me....to...the...rock. lol

            Comment


            • #36
              Re: WIP Untitled Face

              Originally posted by feb
              Kathy, if you were trying like your tital says you sure captured that emotion, he just looks like he is going to burst in tears any minute.

              Feb
              Hi feb, no it's just the way it came out and just seemed fitting to name it 'Sorrow'.
              Thank you, for looking and commenting,
              Kathy

              Comment


              • #37
                Re: WIP Untitled Face

                Originally posted by DADDIO
                very nice job i like the finish on there also.........must..get the....rock.....the ...rock.....is...good...take ....me....to...the...rock. lol
                Hi Mike, well here ya go--the beginning of 'Wolf Indian' mounted on the 'Rock'. It's 4" inches deep x 8" inches across x 14" Tall. I bandsawed the shape of the wolf head-dress and will use my mallet tools on the rest. I'll let you know how it's holding up to the mallet work. I'm following Jeff Phares instructions from his book 'Carving The Human Face'.
                When I get further along I'll start a WIP thread.
                Kathy
                Two views 1st side view, 2nd view from top looking downward

                Comment


                • #38
                  Re: WIP Untitled Face

                  hi kathy, very nice carving, and and a beautiful finish. is it not fun to see faces emerge from the wood, and every time you do anew, you get a better one,since you can put in expereince from previous. yes, sorrow is a good title, and i see your next carving will be huge ! have fun !

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Re: WIP Untitled Face

                    Kathy, very nice carving and a good practise. Love your finishing.
                    I can see you started another one - are you going to put it on a separate thread? It will be interesting to watch the progress again.
                    Fred

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Re: WIP Untitled Face

                      Hi Doris, yes it is fun to see the faces start to show character. Now, if I can just get the anatomy right I'll feel good. I feel I learn with each one I do, and hope that never ends. I always feel that way when I paint also.
                      Yep, the one I have started is going to be my biggest and I hope not my down fall. LOL
                      Thank you, for your nice compliment.
                      Kathy

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Re: WIP Untitled Face

                        Originally posted by Fred Zavadil
                        Kathy, very nice carving and a good practise. Love your finishing.
                        I can see you started another one - are you going to put it on a separate thread? It will be interesting to watch the progress again.
                        Fred
                        Hi Fred, thank you for your nice compliment. I really liked the way this butternut finishes with just Danish Oil, varnish and neutral wax.
                        YES, I will start a new thread for the carving on my work positioner when I get further along. I still have to start hogging out the wood to get the basic shape doing. Keep your finger's crossed for me, your right it's going to be interesting. Hopefully, a good out come.
                        Kathy

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Re: WIP Untitled Face

                          Originally posted by Mottles
                          Hi Mike, well here ya go--the beginning of 'Wolf Indian' mounted on the 'Rock'. It's 4" inches deep x 8" inches across x 14" Tall. I bandsawed the shape of the wolf head-dress and will use my mallet tools on the rest. I'll let you know how it's holding up to the mallet work. I'm following Jeff Phares instructions from his book 'Carving The Human Face'.
                          When I get further along I'll start a WIP thread.
                          Kathy
                          Two views 1st side view, 2nd view from top looking downward
                          Regarding my Rock Work Positioner....Hammer yesterday, I really gave it a workout and me too. Working with mallet and mallet tools to hogged out and began shaping the Phares step by step Indian project. I found that I had to really be more aggressive with tightening down hard my Rock positioner. Also using my workbench for extra support was very helpful and made my block steadier. So, I really feel once tighten down correctly the Rock is still a good purchase for the money.
                          Kathy
                          </IMG>

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Re: WIP Untitled Face

                            Hi Kathy, I enjoyed watching your carving progress.. Very nice work and lots of good information coming with it.. keep up the good work you are doing great.. Charlotte

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Re: WIP Untitled Face

                              Ice Cream Hi Charlotte, thank you so much for your nice compliment. I really earned a lot on this one and first time working with butternut. I love the color when oil is added to the wood.
                              I bandsawed another block of butternut 3"x6"x12 for an Indian Woman carving that I plan to work on in the house. My larger basswood piece is out in the garage workshop and it's freezing out there, snow on the ground here. So anyway I can keep working just have to be more careful about chips! LOL
                              Kathy

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X