my 1st homemade carving knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my 1st homemade carving knife

just finished my first carving knife, 1 1/2 inch blade, 6 1/2 inches overall. blade made from high carbon steel, USA made, handle from light golden oak. I epoxied the blade in handle. it ended up very sharp. hope it will stay sharp, will let you all know. thanks

Re: my 1st homemade carving knife

Well, the way the blade is reflecting the stump I'd say you've got a good edge there. Looks like fun. You'll have to let us know how it performs.

Comment

I'll be hanged! That looks just like the first knife that I made... If it's even close it's a goodin' and it'll bet a favorite! I've purchased 3 or 4 Flexcut's since then but I always go back to my homemade knife! Nice work Errol!

Comment

thanks eddy, i have a couple flexcut's and 3 of denny's. just always wanted to make a carving knife and read a lot on the subject before trying, [email protected] sometimes tenn and sometimes florida. i'm from tn and now in fla for a month or so. Jim thanks also, i honed and buffed that blade till she shines like a new silver dollar and can shave with it. just hoping it will hold an edge now.

Comment

Errol .. you did a great job on that knife .. very professional looking ..

it looks sharp for sure ..

good job ..

Gene

Comment

errol,
            nice looking knife

what did the blade use to be?

i use to go to the flea market and buy old butcher knives, sharpen them up to test the steel to check the edge holding ability then make carving knives out of them...
            cheap source of good steel but pretty hit or miss though,

i tested my butcher knife blades on pine knots, if an edge can handle a pine knot its a whiz on basswood.

flexcut style handles are great but i still have nightmares of the time i tried to make a dozen with a router table...

Comment

thanks Gene and Thomas, The blades came from a friend that has a brother up north and they use these at some factory. I will find out more. I made the flexcut style of handle just a little bit thinner then the orignal flexcut. I found a nice piece of light oak for the handle (want cherry or walnut for my next one. going to make a 1 inch blade detailed knife next in between carving! the blade steel says "dexter" and made in USA (a plus for me!) high carbon steel.

Comment

Hi errol, hey that's a beauty and I see you use agave stock (or is that wood?) for your bench knife holder too. A friend made mine for me, other than a walking stick it hadn't dawned on me they make great knife holders.
                Kathy

Comment

Thomp knows what he's talking about. I'm using a knife he made from an antique straightrazor and it surpasses anything I've used. My other carving knives are from the Diobsud Foundry and are excellent---Thomp's knife is better.

Comment

nice comment on the knife, thanks Ted,

glad you enjoy it..
                    you just didn't mention how slow my production time is though.

Comment

Thomp
                      It arrived exactly when I expected it.

Comment

Working...
                      X