X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ron Davidson
    replied
    Re: Santa Chess Set

I remember you telling me about this project. I'm glad to hear you started on it just be careful. I don't want you to try and carve like me on this one. Keep me posted buddy.
    Ron

Leave a comment:

• gene-messer
    replied

Colin .. That is going to be a neat set .. please let us see the progression as it goes along ..

Gene

Leave a comment:

• Irishman
    replied

Yes you heard it here...she is a little busty! I think you could have got away with it Colin if you didn't give her the deep cleavage as Don said. Try adding a little wood filler and I think you might be alright...as her hind quarters matches the front. All things considered, you did a fine job of carving her.
    Patrick

Leave a comment:

• don
    replied

I think I have to agree with your wife, While Mrs clause may be matronly yours looks like she could be working at Hooters. Perhaps less cleavage as well as having her less well endowed would be better. Think of how your grandma looked when she was in the kitchen fixing supper.

Leave a comment:

• Colin-Partridge
    replied

here is a some pictures of Mrs.Claus I roughed out. Not sure I am completly satisfied with her we will have to see what she looks like painted up. My wife thinks I am a typical man she thinks she has too much boobage. Opinions are very welcome at any time.
    Colin

Leave a comment:

• snickerbocker
    replied

Colin,
    Yeah I have played too, but I was planning a strategy not counting the pieces. This set will be an heirloom.

Leave a comment:

• Banjo
    replied

Colin, can't wait to see more of your Santa chess set. What a neat idea. Your off to a great start!

Leave a comment:

• santagibbs
    replied

Colin, that Santa is cute as he can be..What a great idea.. a Santa chess set. That should be a lot of fun and what a treasure when you get through.. I will be anxiously waiting to see the rest.. Charlotte

Leave a comment:

• Colin-Partridge
    replied

Vicki I love you girl thank you so much shows how much I know and at one time I played a lot of chess when I was overseas in the army. I havent probably played for thirty years dont know why I thought there were a double row of pawns but I am thankful. I will we posting a picture of Mrs. Claus not completed tomorrow.
    Colin

Leave a comment:

• Irishman
    replied

This project should keep you busy this winter Colin. That's going to be a lot of carvings when complete. Should be quite a sight when its finished. If your little Santa is any indication of what the rest will be like, your going to have a prize on your hands when its all complete. Look forward to seeing the rest of the little characters.
    Patrick

Leave a comment:

• jamesfa
    replied

Colin-looks like you've gotten-off to a good start on your project-you will have to explain to our American friends that up here we are metric therefore more pieces.

Been trying to get up to your carving club, but with the weather,all the white-outs and multi car pile ups on that highway to your place i've been hesitant.

Frank

Leave a comment:

• snickerbocker
    replied

Hey Colin,
    There are only 32 pieces in a chess set. There are only 8 pawns. You don't have to carve so many aren't you glad? We have a set of Keith Morrill's Cowboys and Indians chess set and I love the idea of the Santa chess set, you go boy (man).

Leave a comment:

• tucker1931
    replied

Hey there Colin, you sure can work miracles with that old chain saw of yours, that santa is somethin else, them big eyes just jump right out at ya, good stuff the buddy. Man, you missed a great show in Hamilton. Wife and I went down Sat morning, it was so dang busy you copuldn't really get in close to see all the stuff. Met Fred and his wife,man can he carve or what. He had a surprise there that will blow you away when you see it. Have a good one, and good luck with the rest of the pieces.
    Cliff

Leave a comment:

• Colin-Partridge
    replied

Here is how the board will look
    Colin

Leave a comment:

• Colin-Partridge
    started a topic Santa Chess Set

Santa Chess Set

I know it has been a long time since I posted anything but I winter is a slow time for me. I probably could carve tree's in the winter but the scaffold gets slippery and carving in a snowmobile suit sucks. So I am endeavouring to do something I have had the urge to do since I started carving. What I am carving is a chess set. My good friend Bob was nice enough to cut me out a couple of blanks for a six inch santa and I am now just started on the set. It is a huge undertaking firstly I am not used to carving this small. Secondly I am carving it completly by hand no power. Thirdly to complete the set I must produce 48 pieces 24 each side. This first piece will represent the King. Bob cut me out a Mrs Claus blank and I have her started I will post a picture sometime this week. I was unsure of how to represent the other pieces but this is my idea. The Bishops will be snowmen. I will differentate them by red and green scarfs.BTW the Santa's Mr and Mrs will be green and red. I plan on making the knights reindeer with red and green noses. The rooks I thought at first igloo's but have reconsidered and decided they will be chimney's. Last but not least the 32 pawns will be Elves with red and green hats. I know I must be crazy and when I am finished I promise you I will not sell the chess set I could never get enough for it for the hours I will put into it. Bob of Bob's Birds is doing the blanks for me. I contacted Nancy Goff and she designed a snowman for me. What a lovely lady she said she was honored to do it for me. Hmmm now if I could get Nancy to carve them as well LOL. How long will it take me I dont know carving will take long enough and then all that painting. I have attatched some pictures for you to see. One piece down only 47 more to go. BTW all of the carvings will be originals of my design even though Bob and Nancy designed the blanks I will change them to make them them original. This thread will be so long when you think of how long this is going to take. As usual always open to critisism and ideas there is nothing that cant be changed. I have posted some pictures in the next two threads.
    Colin
Working...
X