"Distant Drums" - First Look

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Distant Drums" - First Look

Here is a "in process" look at a piece I'm working on at the moment. It's an Indian, way out on the plains, listening to the sounds coming from a telegraph wire. I remember seeing a painting, either by Remington or Russell of this same subject but haven't been able to track it down. I thought it would make an interesting scene.

The Brave's head is not completed yet and is still missing his braids but I will add those this afternoon, can't do anything else today....it's snowing like mad out there. Beautiful! With the two figures now pretty well complete I can start doing all the little details, i.e., knife, bow & arrows, shield, tomahawk, etc. He's holding a lance. Like the Warbonnet piece, this one is going to use just about every color in the Hobby Lobby paint section.

I made the oak base out of 2" stock as I wanted this one to really be a "classic" piece which I think it will be if it all works out. I really like all the angles of the figures when their put together. And yes, I know the arms are attached! So what? The only way you can do a piece like this and have any faith in knowing that it will stand up to the handling it will get over the years is to orient the grain to increase the strength of any extensions.

Anyway, would appreciate your comments as always.

Re: "Distant Drums" - First Look

i'm glad to see you posting again lynn, even though i still checked out your blog, it's good to see ya back here,you bring so much to the carving table,and i miss it. and once again you are turning out amazing carvings as always can't wait to see it finished.

Comment

Lynn, I think this is going to be my favorite of all your carvings. Thank you, for sharing.
      Kathy

Comment

Hi Lynn, Going to be a Great piece. Looking forward to the finished piece. Merle

Comment

Lynn, I really like the beginning of this piece. Looking forward to seeing it progress. I also enjoy your blog, very informative. Out of curiosity, how long does it take to complete your average piece. Realizing this will vary depending on the piece, is there an approximate average.
          Thanks
          keithmc

Comment

You're right...it depends on the piece. A simple figure can just take a couple days if I really get "into" it. This one is about a week old as it's pretty involved. Probably got another week on it yet. Of course you also have to take into account that sometimes there are more pressing and fun things to do than just woodcarving.....like playing tug-a-war with your horses in the snow!!!

Comment

Me thinks it looks like a Lynn Doughty carving with attached arms. Looks very nice and knowing you, It will be better.

Kind of losing in the tug of war with your horse eh?

Comment

Wow Lynn .. Your eye for detail really sets this craving off .. The horse is wonderful and the indian is looking great ..

Thanks for sharing ..

Gene

Comment

LYNN,Look like another good carving.
                  What would happen if the horse would turn loose?

Arnold

Comment

nice piece Lynn, in the photo if you substitute a saddle blanket or headstall etc. for the red thing it would make a good carving subject or have you already planned that? Arnie

Comment

I did one similar to that years ago. It was a set of bookends with one having the cowboy pulling on a rope which went through the bookend and the other with the rope coming out and around the horses neck.

Comment

Lynn your attention to detail and the way his hand is up to his ear and the way his knees are bent draws my eye right into the carving. Can't wait to see the finished piece.

Comment

Lynn,

It will be awsome and very realistic!!!

Beside the great carving, what I love about your work Lynn, is that every piece is a storybook in itself, you really create a piece that reflects its true storyline, fantastic from every angle. Thanks Bill

Comment

Word's just can't express the fantastic carvings that you do.. I am at loss for words.. It's just beautiful . I am amazed at the detail and action that you put into each carving.. amazing talent.. Charlotte

Comment

I too join in to all the admirer, because I can not do small carvings I admire it even more, the patience, wow, beautiful Lynn as all your carvings.
                              Alice
                              www.WoodCarvingIllustrated.com
                              www.FoxChapelPublishing.com
                              www.ScrollSawer.com

Comment

Working...
                              X