Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walks In Beauty

3"x6"x12" Butternut Block
    Carving this one on the corner, more in my comfort zone, than on the flat side. LOL
    I decided to start a smaller carving so I could work on it in the house. I've been kicking around this idea for a carving for some time. I wanted to try my hand at carving an aging Indian woman. I did several concept sketches and chose this one for the carving. Now, if I can translate my sketch and vision onto wood I'll be happy.
    I knocked off and rounded all the corners except for the center corner of the face. Also, made some pencil markings for where I wanted the facial features. This should be a nice project for me and more practice.
    As always I appreciate your comments.
    Kathy

Re: Walks In Beauty

Keep the idea firmly fixed in your head,,the sketching only reinforces it. The Butternut is a wonderful wood to carve and should translate well for your idea.Half the job is done if you don't loose that thought.

Comment

Originally posted by mark yundt
      Keep the idea firmly fixed in your head,,the sketching only reinforces it. The Butternut is a wonderful wood to carve and should translate well for your idea.Half the job is done if you don't loose that thought.
      Hi Mark, thank you so much for giving me your thoughts and I highly respect them. I'll try very hard to stay on course, so my vision comes to reality.
      This is only the second piece that I have used Butternut for a carving.
      I like the way it carves, but wasn't to sure about getting detail for me anyway. I really like the beautiful warm color, especially when I added the Danish Oil.
      Please feel free to give me your comments for improvement anytime.
      Thank you again,
      Kathy

Comment

Didn't I just see a post from you doing a male NA Indian! You are busy. For every male carving I do a female as I find this gender a challenge to carve. Then I see you posting a female NA Indian...I have to give you credit as I would find this a difficult carving. Your up for the challenge though so keep us posted.
        Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by Irishman
          Didn't I just see a post from you doing a male NA Indian! You are busy. For every male carving I do a female as I find this gender a challenge to carve. Then I see you posting a female NA Indian...I have to give you credit as I would find this a difficult carving. Your up for the challenge though so keep us posted.
          Patrick
          HA, Patrick ya just never know about me! LOL
          I did the 'Runs With Coyote' earlier must be what you are thinking about? I started the woman for two reasons one I wanted to carve a woman and two the large Indian With Headdress is to large for the house (that's the one you saw?). So I needed something I could carve on while inside the kitchen. It's only 12 inches tall.
          Yeah, don't think it's going to be easy (the big Indian With Headdress), but I rarely take on easy projects....No sense I guess! LOL
          Kathy

Comment

Kathy. You ask so here's my opinion. The sketch is great however I think you should move the hair line up higher to reveal more forehead. Here is a program that might help you out when trying to visualize a face. I came across it one day just surfing. I't really fun to play with as you can manipulate any feature on the face in just about any way by using the box to the left and moving the cross around. The features you can add then change are almost endless.
            http://flashface.ctapt.de/

As I just copied it off the web I can't really verify it's virus free but I've never had any trouble with it. There are a number of faces stored that were made by others and I won't begin to accept any responsibility for those. You can bring one of them into your tablet and then add, delete, distort or manipulate at will. It's really fun to play with.

Comment

Hi Lynn, thanks for taking a look and for the tips....it would be easy to move the bangs up as I haven't done any work on it since I posted the first images yesterday.
              I'll take a look at the program you mention this afternoon. Sounds like something I'd enjoy using. Thank you, for the link.
              Kathy

Hi I'm back--well that was a fun site, and I can see why you like it and recommend it.
              Thanks again,
              Kathy

Comment

Hi Kathy
                that looks like a fine project,more power to you, Butternut is my favorite wood too.I somehow always liked to carve women ,there is so much more to it than men lol, my husband even ask one day "are you Lesbian????" you are only carving women, I am looking forward to the progress pictures.
                Alice
                www.WoodCarvingIllustrated.com
                www.FoxChapelPublishing.com
                www.ScrollSawer.com

Comment

Hi Alice, and thank you, I'm looking forward to working on it. Especially inside I'm closer to the coffee pot.
                  I think a large majority of the carvings I see here are mostly of the male gender. I have carved and will continue to carve males also. But I think the female carvings are interesting too. To be good at both is my goal.
                  I like Butternut too, only my favorite is basswood and cottonwood for now anyway. LOL
                  Kathy

Comment

Kathy, looks like you have a good thing going, will be keeping track of your progress. Lynn thanks for that sight sounds interesting.

Feb

Comment

Hi Kathy the drawing is great, I can't wait to see the carving.
                      Mel

Comment

Kathy,

I think you see fewer female carvings because it is not easy capturing the feminine traits...at least it is for me. I expect we have all carved our share of masculine looking females. For some reason my wife doesn't take to my female carvings. I guess I have to stop giving them names.Wink

Patrick

Originally posted by Mottles
                        Hi Alice, and thank you, I'm looking forward to working on it. Especially inside I'm closer to the coffee pot.
                        I think a large majority of the carvings I see here are mostly of the male gender. I have carved and will continue to carve males also. But I think the female carvings are interesting too. To be good at both is my goal.
                        I like Butternut too, only my favorite is basswood and cottonwood for now anyway. LOL
                        Kathy

Comment

"are you Lesbian????" you are only carving women!

Oh my Gawd.........I've liked carving Kowboy's for years now....and to think I might have been doing it in the closet! Wait till my wife hear's about this!

Comment

Feb, thank you, I hope you will return often and please tips are excepted.

Mel, thank you too, I like to draw and a good part of the process is getting your idea's down on paper. Guess you could compare it to a map, doesn't mean you to have to follow it actually. What it does do is help you to avoid some pit falls along the way.

Patrick, as I mentioned earlier the real deal is to be able to carve both female and male subjects. I think it's good you like to carve both. I don't want to carve pretty females necessarily. I want to show character, and life expression in ones face. When I can do that I'll feel I've learned and grown with my carving ability. Keeping in mind there is always something new to learn.

Cowboy BobD, can we please have a Cowgirl avatar too? Lynn, I hope you have a light in your closet. LOL
                            </IMG>
                            Thanks,
                            Kathy

Comment

Looks like another winner comming out of that wood. Keep at it. Skip

Comment

Working...
                              X