Sad Indian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad Indian

This is my first attempt at starting a thread. I decided to carve a “Sad Indian” for two reasons. First I watched Phil Fontaine the National Chief of the Assembly of First Nations on TV talk on the plight of some of the First Nation People in Canada. Some in northern Canada have had to boil their water for years because it’s unsafe and live 20 or more people per house because of lack of housing.
    The second reason is to do with global warming. There is an old Indian proverb that I found “Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.”
    I sculpted the bust in Plastilina. I decided to use the “pointing method” ( I don’t know what it’s really called)I only have done this once before. It is a quick and accurate way to duplicate your sculpture into a woodcarving.

Re: Sad Indian

It's looking really nice. Can't wait to see the finished product. I'm interested in your "pointing method". Could you please explain the process a little? By the way, I love that Indian proverb too.
    Brandant Robinson
    Woodcarving Blog - www.theoldstump.blogspot.com
    Custom Folding Knives - https://www.therobinsonedge.com/
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/brandant.robinson.1

Comment

By both your clay sculpture and the beginnings of your wood carving I certainly can see and feel the emotion you feel. I too, am interested in your measuring method--looks very accurate. I have done some clay sculpting and my method is add and remove LOL. What kind of wood are you using
      Kathy

Comment

A.Willburger, So far your carving is looking well in its proper perspective. Looking forward to when its finished. You are doing a very fine job so far. Forrest

Comment

The points method was used to do the presidents on the Black Hills...they are also using the same method on Crazy Horse....interesting and anxious to see your finished product
          "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

I have not heard of this method so I am also interested in how it turns out.
            Patrick

Comment

Kathy the wood is butternut
              Ok I am not the best explainer but here it goes!!
              The reference base of the sculpture and the woodcarving has to be exactly the same size (I used 8-1/2 x 11 1/2 x ¾ plywood). Using a pointer(modified surface gauge) pick a point on your sculpture. I roll a little ball of plastilina so I am a 1/8 or more from actual surface so I have some playing room to carve that is what I use as a point. You move the base of the pointer forward till it touches the reference base then you move the L shaped bar at the base of the pointer till it touches the right hand side of the reference base and lock the bar in place with the locking screw. Now the base of the pointer is locked against the reference base then you move the finger and move it to your point on the sculpture and tighten the locking screw. The take the pointer and move over to your carving and place the L shaped bar against the right side of the carvings reference base and slide the pointer towards the carving till the finger touches the wood. Looking at the picture(the picture at the beginning of the thread) you can see the pointer and the bock of wood. You will see on the picture #1 is the L shaped Bar, #2 is the finger against the wood and #3 is the gap between the front base of the pointer and the reference base. That gap is the amount of wood that needs to be removed.
              After I remove the wood I push the finger into the wood just to make a mark then I put an X on that spot with a pencil. I start on the spot that is sticking out the farthest and then move deeper into the carving. After I have many points marked on the wood I cut from point to point with my #11 gouge. Then I use a flatter gouge and cut away the excess wood.
              When I’m done it’s kind of like my own rough out. Then I start to carve the finer work.

Comment

thank you for explaining, i had seen these method in a book, but did not understand how to read off how much wood you need to remove when the pointer points on the wood ( they just show foto of pointing machine and the book claimed it is too complicated to explain,, cant say that from your perfect explanation). now you say you read that off the base distance #3 ! wow, thanks a lot, that was an eye opener for me... looks very tedious though, but i guess you will get a very accurate copy of your clay sculpture.looking forward to see your progressing.. thanks a lot for sharing your insight

Comment

This will be fun to watch.

I had to backup to Sept. to see your first post and some of your work, impressive, I love it, and can't wait to see more. Welcome to the forum A Willburger, stuff like this is why I like this place.

Comment

I have seen the method where you actually drill down to the depths of the reference points. then remove wood until you reach that depth. I have never tried it but it would seem to be pretty accurate way of copying a shape.

Good looking indian by the way.

Comment

Doris yes it's tedious. The first time I tried this pointing method I gave up and carved without it, however I am always trying to stretch myself as a carver. I Look back at my carvings and I have nine busts all are looking strait ahead with a little smile so after I sculpted this head I was a little apprehensive to try and carve it.

Tony Thanks for the welcome. I looked at your carvings too their also impressive

jartzh yes many years ago I watched show on a Nun who carves here in Ontario and she made a small clay sculpture and made a box frame around it. Then she made another box frame around the wood which was four or five times bigger than the clay sculpture and using rulers and obviously increasing her measurement by four or five times then marked the wood and then drilled to the proper depth.

Yes Mount Rushmore was made using a pointing method.

Comment

Andy, it looks very impressive. I am sure that with your sculpting and carving abilities you will do a great job.
                        Also, congrats on your ribbons in London!
                        Fred & Hana

Comment

I'm not sure I understand how it all works but would like to learn more, do you have any other references.

Feb

Comment

A Willburger,
                            You have a great project going. The pointing method is interesting and I will be following along just to see what I can learn! Thank you so much for sharing your expertise!
                            Jim OH

Comment

Here are some more pictures of my progress soon I will be putting away the pointer and then the real carving begins. I had to add some wood on the back for the braids and his back. oops a slight miscalculation.

Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X