• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Before adding paint NA Indian

Great job, Patrick!! Keep em coming.

Mike

Comment

Nice carving. However, I think it would look much better left unpainted. Those eyes are just too distracting from the overall natural appearance of the piece. Just my opinion.

Comment

Hi Doris,

I would have expected you to say he's too angry. I could have perhaps made him more older by making his skin fleshier but maybe he is a young warrior...who's very angry
        As for the finish - I learned much of my technique from Mark Gargac's approach. Please send me a private message Doris if you wish for more detail but basically this is how I approach it:
        - First add the acrylics, experimenting with colors. The paint is watered down and applied in layers.
        - I then add tung or db linseed oil
        - I then add a satin sealer. When dry, use a paper bag to smooth out the grit.
        - I then add the dark satin liquid wax. After five minutes, wipe clean and buff with a cloth.
        That's it. Connect with me again if you need more detail.
        Patrick

Originally posted by doris
        he turned out very nice, patrick :-) not meant as critique, but only sharing an observation, he looks quite joung, despite the wrinkles you added....
        i love the way you painted him in the soft brown colors. can you expand a little how you did that ? with stains ? or with oil colors, or acrylic... i would like try something, maybe even softer, like this too

Comment

I've received feedback on the eyes before with other carvings and they do stand out with the white paint on this one. I have darkened the white before but the dark satin wax made the colors of the iris blend with the off white. I'll keep experimenting. It's interesting that I used to only oil my carvings and burn the eyes....now I've gone to painting everything. I'll have to try and get somewhere's in the middle. Thanks for the observation Lynn.
          Patrick

Originally posted by Lynn O. Doughty
          Nice carving. However, I think it would look much better left unpainted. Those eyes are just too distracting from the overall natural appearance of the piece. Just my opinion.

Comment

why should you not carve a young angry warrior, i donĀ“t mind see angry, when carved well :-) thanks for the explanation, yes, i see, want experiment with that.

Comment

I like this Native American you just done Patrick and commented on him in the galleries. He's details are just super plus your finish on him. All in all......just a great carving! Forrest

Comment

Hey patrick, that looks great!!!. Sorry I did not get back to you quicker than this but I had some work come my way and when you live on a indian rez you better take the work when you can. You never know when the work will come.I like the paint but do not like it in the eyes. Thats just me and what do I know , I just started to carve last summer so I am still learn`n. Very strong looking face, aery clean work. Keep the chips flying. I just finished one and started another one will post pics when I have time to sit and do all the computer stuff(I hate the computer work but thats part of it I guess).Vince

Comment

Hey that turned out nice. I've tried to carve horns and botched it every time. you nailed it!

Comment

Patrick, Great job on the Indian. I really like the piece painted, the muted colors look especially good. Lot of detail and expression! Just a suggestion but I use basically the same kind of finishing technique, I will use Antique white or ivory in the eyes, to tone them down a little as compared to just white paint. I also use a clear varnish, several coats, to bring the eyes to life! Please don't take my suggestion as a negative comment because I think the piece is exceptional. Thanks for posting it!
                    Jim OH

Comment

Thank you very much Jim. I'm been stumped as to how I could soften the eyes so I appreciate your suggestions. My paint inventory is very low so I'll be picking up these extra colors. The white does give him a sort of "voodoo" look when all the other colors are toned down browns and blacks. I'll give this a try.
                      Patrick

Originally posted by Jim OH
                      Patrick, Great job on the Indian. I really like the piece painted, the muted colors look especially good. Lot of detail and expression! Just a suggestion but I use basically the same kind of finishing technique, I will use Antique white or ivory in the eyes, to tone them down a little as compared to just white paint. I also use a clear varnish, several coats, to bring the eyes to life! Please don't take my suggestion as a negative comment because I think the piece is exceptional. Thanks for posting it!
                      Jim OH

Comment

WOW ! Patrick you blew me away with this one, amazing detail every where.

Great job on the painting, it is really eye catching make you look all over
                        the piece.

I would love to try some of the oils on a piece sometime soon, as well as
                        toning my eyes down.

Thanks for posting Bud, look forward to seeing you next piece.

Comment

Working...
                        X