Gus's Hat Band-Neat Knot!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gus's Hat Band-Neat Knot!

I'm working on Gus's hat and thought it would be neat if I could try a new trick. I've used Tupelo in the past when I needed something to bend but still remain strong. Deet's hat brim is made from that wood and it really worked out great. Just soak it a little, bend it to shape and glue it in place. This time I thought I would try to make a wooden knot for the hat band to put on the side where the crown meets the brim just like the real thing. I cut a little strip about 3/32' wide, sanded it and put it in a glass of boiling water. Being very careful and reinserting the strip into the water several times I was able to tie a really nice looking overhand knot. Once I get it painted and in place I'll post another photo.

Re: Gus's Hat Band-Neat Knot!

Lynn,
    That is a pretty neat idea. Will have to save that for future reference! Thanks for sharing you expertise!
    Jim OH

Comment

Lynn, I'm pretty well convinced that there is nothing that can't be done with wood, every time I see a post of you'rs, I'm ammazed at what I'm seeing, you sir are the King, hail to the King.
      Cliff

Comment

Looks like a piece of leather.Great idea and I am sure it would take a bit longer to carve a knot like that.

Comment

Working...
        X