My First Cookie Press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Cookie Press

Hello! I could not wait any longer! I was out in my shop in the wee hours carving this! Doris sent me an awesome link for cookie presses...I am hooked! This is not that great I know! But I am very happy that I did it all with an old exacto carving set and no power carving. This is only my second attempt at hand tools. My first is slightly tolerable and my husband treasures it! I am off to make more! Can't wait to see how they turn out...especially bow that I know what I am doing! Much love! Thanks again Doris!
    I have to say-the whole time I was making this I had such a great tingly feeling. I was creating an heirloom!

Re: My First Cookie Press

That is another wonderful use for woodcarving. Let us see the cookie it makes!
    Thor
    Steve

Comment

I have never thought of such a use for carving...practical and you can use it over and over again. Great idea, and you did such a nice job with so few tools in your tickle trunk (for the Mr. Dressup generation).
      Patrick

Comment

wow keoma, that is wonderful ! great carving, and really nice clean round holes, that is something i am still struggling with... and, dont forget to make the cookies, and show us too :-)

Comment

VERYyyyyyyyyyy Neat! I hope later this summer if I get some time to make some butter molds. Great job again,Forrest

Comment

Thank you! I am making cookies this afternoon! I am now carving an Oak Leaf...Oh boy Oh boy Oh boy! Forrest I can't wait to see your butter moulds!
            The thing about my kitchen is that it is full of antiques. BUT they have to be useable! No useless decor! This cookie press will sit on the shelf above my stove for years. Then I am already imagining giving it as a wedding gift for my oldest boy. Since he is only 10, I have plenty of time to use it with him and make memories to go with it!

Comment

Now thats just neat! And a pretty design. I have to side with the others and want to see a cookie with the results. I'm assuming its a recipe that doent rise much so the design stays on the cookie? This is interesting for sure.

Comment

Nice one Kemoa. I like it. However, send some cookies you made from it. HEHEHEHEHEEHEH

Comment

Ha Ha HA...I was thinking about that...what a tease...I'll just show you the cookies...lol...As Emeril always saya..."Too bad this screen does not have Smell - o - vision...Oh yeah Babe"

Comment

Really nice, Keoma - and, yes, I would like to try some of the cookies too!
                    Fred

Comment

Hi Keoma,

My husband is the bark guy, but when it comes to cookies and molds I have some questions. That is a beautiful piece that you caved that looks like it will work beautiful. I was wondering what kind of wood it is and how will you keep it from sticking, as most cookie molds do?? ( Of course Art thinks I should have one in bark!) What a great idea for a memory for your son! I'm the cookie Grandma in the family but I mostly thought about the recipes handed down through the generations that I have used since the 60's. I really like your idea!!

I have seen your work and it is great!! Dorothy ( alias The Bark Guy's wife!)

Comment

The following link is to some Medieval reenactors who merchant hand made cookies from very cool molds at events. I have "partaken of their delights" every chance I've had. The details that they get are amazing and the cookies themselves are an historically accurate recipe that they have researched.
                        This may inspire more molds from you in the future....some are very funny, some are a bit radical and others are painted and guilded.

Steve

Comment

Hiya Dorothy! I think whatever your husband makes one out of would be such a treasure! My husband has made me breakfast once ... I use my Grams and Great Gram's recipes from both sides of the family. I adore them. the ones in her own writing are my treasures! I have decided that this is the first one and though I like to keep the first, I am going t o send this one to my Gram. She has just finished a 2 week stint in the hospital and I think she would love it! Her dad was the carver in the family! She loves that it lives on through me. You all knew what a sentimental sap I was right?
                          The wood is madrone, which I have a lot of. Without much sanding attal it is like butter. In fact, the cuts off my ban saw are so smooth Sometimes I just leave them as is, since I like my stuff to look old. Colonial art is my favorite and I think these definately go good with the time period! I use a sprinkling of flour so they don't stick. Believe it or not, stuff does not stick to wood like it does plastic or metal...something so natural about it I guess.
                          The first batch was AWESOME! I wanted to take pics but the family flew in like locusts! I will take a picture as soon as they get out of the oven!
                          Locust would be another good wood to use...
                          Thank you for the klink THOR...I am currently carving a Goddess and a Triple Moon press and I can't wait to look at the link!
                          Oh...and the recipe used? My Great Great Grandmas Scottish Shortbread O' Course!

***EDIT***
                          THOR...though I thank you for the link, it is great...but I should tell you that it is your work that has inspired me. You see things like I see them and I am so happy to be able to see what you have done! Leaves, knots anything of a celtic or pagan nature really rings true to me and you do that. Your amazing. You make me want to do what I really feel and I can't thank you enough!
                          I love your saying...It lived in my imagination and now it is real...I like to say 2 things, Art the Old Fashioned Way-from the heart...or From my heart to my hand! Thank you for the wonderful inspiration!

Comment

Keoma:
                            great job on the cookie press,keep up a great job.
                            Mark N. Akers
                            My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

Thank You Mark! Coming from someone with your credentials that means a lot! Have you ever thought of firemen? lol

Comment

Working...
                              X