Indian Mask

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Mask

Hey all thought I would share my latest effort at a realistic carving. I call him Iron Hand, he basswood with oil paints, matte sealer with light walnut Briwax as a final seal coat.

Have fun carve

Harold

Re: Indian Mask

Hi Harold, super realistic carving and finishing. I think a lot of us are trying our hand at carving this Phares Indian. I too, am trying my hand at one too, is yours full size? Mine is taking me forever, but I get side-tracked easily. LOL
    I haven't tried Briwax and would like too, you have acheived a nice color effect. I like to use oil's also.
    After you completed your carving did you put anything on it before starting in with the oils such as English Oil or BLO. Just curious....
    Kathy

Comment

Thanks Kathy.
      The carving is about 14 inches high, 8 inches wide and 5 inches deep.
      After carving I scubbed it good with laquer thinner, mainly to remove any dirt or oil from my hands, that may have been left on the wood. I then brushed on a thin coat of boiled linseed oil, and started the painting while the linseed oil was still wet. The feather is burned which gives it most of the color. After the paint was dry (I waited three days) I then sprayed three coats of matte sealer with a rub down between each coat with a brown paper bag. Then two coats of Briwax buffed out between each coat with a soft shoe shine brush. I've done quite a few of the masks this way and really like how I can control the colors. I can adjust how bright the colors are by the amount of linseed oil I apply before painting and or by how much I add to the colors. I have another carving that is done and almost finished with the painting that the colors are little brighter. When it's done I will post it so you can see the difference.

Harold

Comment

NIce carving Harold. He looks like he's thinking pleasant thoughts, anyway I really like him!
        My ETSY shop:
        https://www.etsy.com/shop/WoodforddellDesigns

Comment

Great looking piece .. good facial work and realistic ..

great job

Gene

Comment

I really like this carving. Very cool!

Corey

Comment

Working...
            X