• big dave
    replied
    Re: New from Illinois

howdy and welcome

Leave a comment:

• jmuscel
    replied

For me hands are difficult to draw let alone carve. Great job! The white face is striking

Leave a comment:

• mahujani
    replied

Thanks for all the replys,

actually, the face #2 is how I began carving, I had some leftover wood from a bookshelf broject, and this piece of wood was calling me "Carve me, carve me" with its 2 knots-eyes staring at me, so I began working with no sense of direction, untill I got that face. maybe a lion-horse-man face?...

By the way does anyone know where I can buy wood for carving in the Chicagoland area? I just tried Dick Blick, but they only have basswood (?), and was thinking about something darker.

Leave a comment:

• Simplyme
    replied

If you can do hands then your on your way. I hate doing hands.

Leave a comment:

• cannuckcarver
    replied

Guys.....Maybe they are real...lol

Leave a comment:

• Sharon of the Dell
    replied

Excellent carvings! I thought about the same as Claude on the hands. I like the look of the paint and the cracks.

Leave a comment:

• Claude
    replied

Well, until you mentioned it was wood putty, I just assumed it was bark and painted over... Nice use of the knots on the 2nd one - a Nittany Lion??

Claude

Leave a comment:

• cannuckcarver
    replied

Hello and welcome to the forum, you seems to have adapted to the transition
    rather fast.
    Thanks for sharring

Leave a comment:

• feb
    replied

Nice carving for such a short time. I ike the white face and the hand.

Feb

Leave a comment:

• Robert A Manion
    replied

I like the 2ed. face. the eyes have it.

Leave a comment:

• Ron T
    replied

Hello and welcome, Mahujani. It's nice to have you here. The artist in you has made the transition to wood. Very nice carvings.

Leave a comment:

• MelNM
    replied

Welcome Mahujani, for two weeks of carving that is some really good carving.
    Thanks for sharing
    Mel

Leave a comment:

• mahujani
    started a topic New from Illinois

New from Illinois

Hello all,
    I am new to this website. so I just thought that I say hi to all of you.
    I am new to wood carving, I have a degree in Visual Communication - Painting, but I haven't really touched wood until a month ago.

Here is a couple of my samples that I did in the past couple of weeks, I don't know much about wood qualities and prefered species for carving and where to buy them, so all I have is pine wood boards (leftover from building a bookshelf).

I attached some photos, unfortunatelly I had to paint the hand, as it is live size and made of two pieces of pine glued together, and around the wrist I put some hand made wood putty, which was a stupid ides as you see it cracked.

well, thank for reading, and I am happy to meet all of you and be a part of this great website.

best
    Mahujani
Working...
X