Maggie May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maggie May

hi susie, wow its a pleasure to see so many members try their hands at real challenges. you do a marvelous job on her, she looks very typical like shipfigurehead womens do :-) looking forward to more pics, thank youso much for sharing so many steps :-)

Comment

Oh this is so wonderful! Congratulations!!! I love the leaf too! It looks as if she is coming up out of a nice ocean swell Just beautiful!

Comment

Very nice carving, Susie!
        have worked on her face some more and it's a little better than it was. I don't know how much farther I will try to work on that. I am afraid of making it worse instead of better at this point
        I have been confronted with that problem in the carving that I have just pretty much finished. It seems that many times you know that it's (the carving) not like you want it to be but an inner voice says,"you better quit right now"!

Comment

Thanks so much....
          Yes Millard, that motto "know when to quit" is important to remember in carving, at least for me.

Doris, thank you so much. Your projects have always inspired me to do something a little different You are fearless. Me, not so much....LOL.

Thanks Keoma, if that is how she looks to you then I am very pleased and flattered.

Comment

Wow she is really good. I like the changes you made to her face. I'd say you faced your challenge and won! Keep us posted on her progress.
            Well done. Wanda

Comment

Shes very neat and you are doing such a excellent job carving her. Plus I know how well you can paint, she will be outstanding when shes finished!! Whats the total size of her Susan?

Thanks for sharing your WIP with us.

Forrest

Comment

Thank you Forrest,
                she is only 17 inches long and I will probably regret not making her a bit larger but she is a gift for our son in law and is to hang in a small room so I didn't want to make her too large.

Comment

Susie, I love this carving, excellent so far.Your son in law will love her.
                  My ETSY shop:
                  https://www.etsy.com/shop/WoodforddellDesigns

Comment

Hi susieq,

What a fantastic job you're doing. She's just wonderfful and and I feel the same as Keoma about the Acanthus making her look like she's emerging from the sea or riding the crest of a wave.
                    Ron T.
                    http://stickcarving.webs.com/

Comment

Thanks Sharon, Ron,
                      I worked on her several hours today but am having a hard time cleaning and smoothing the scales. Finally had to put her down and walk away. I will go back to it tomorrow with a fresh view hopefully.....or work on something else for a while. Thanks for the compliments.

Comment

Really nice work Susan! Don't fret so much on it. Keep in mine what you said yourself and that is that it's supposed to look aged and imperfect. I know you. When it' done it will have just as much artistry as your Santas but in it's own way.

Comment

WOW, Susie she is gouragous, sorry I didn't see this sooner. How is the progress going on her?
                          Kathy

Comment

Thanks for the reminder Eddy...lol. We don't have any worries about her having a few imperfections. There will be many.

Her progress is s-l-o-w....Kathy. I actually started her last fall, late. Between Father Christmas things that had to be finished on time and upheavals in our personal life, I didn't get to work on her as much as I would have liked. Things had just started to get back to normal around here and I have been working on her now for about a week. That resulted in the acanthus leaf and the scales getting pretty much done. Might take a break and work on something else for a bit though. There are at least half a dozen projects out there that need attention. I am glad you like her so far. Thanks

Comment

Sorry it's been so long between posts here.... I just got back from N. Carolina and haven't had much time to carve lately. I did start roughing out her hair before we left town and these pictures were taken at that time. I will not be texturing her hair like I do the santa beards.... I'm trying to stay traditional with her as much as possible.

Comment

I was feeling somewhat pleased with her face because it is my first female face...but taking photos of your work helps you see flaws you miss when looking directly at them.

In this photo I found a glaring fault that I probably will try to work on even though I had made up my mind earlier to leave well enough alone...she has a very HEAVY jaw line that I just didn't see before. I hate it. Much as I would like to leave it alone, I probably will fuss with it some more and try to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                                X