Maggie May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maggie May

Susie, I just found this thread as well. She is amazing. I look forward to seeing what comes next on this one.
    Wonderful project. Thanks for showing the step by step. Always something to be learned.
    Christina
    Steve

Comment

I am SOOOOOOO GLAD to be nearing the end of this project....aaauuuggghhh! I love her/hate her. I just want to be finished. and there in lies the danger. It is so easy to hurry something to it's final end and not do it right................ I did finish carving her today. I hope I didn't hurry it, there are many things about her that I do not like. But for a first female (and probably the last female face) I have done, I guess I can't complain too much.

In these pictures she is still somewhat broad shouldered. I am also not happy with the distance between the arms and the torso. The area on the torso where the arms join, sticks too far out on each side so I decied to take that down quite a bit and carve a new "armpit area". You can see in one picture, I have marked it with a black marker.

Also, on the hands, the thumb area needs to be taken in closer to the hand.

Comment

In these pics, I have refined the hands. The fingers are a lot more fragile and delicate than I intended them to be so I resorted to an old trick of soaking the fragile parts with super glue for some added strength.... right at the fingers, the wood grain goes straight but the fingers don't....snap....I knew I would wind up breaking at least one and I did. It isn't over yet. I still have to antique her after I paint her....am keeping the wood glue handy.

I spent hours trying to finess the arms to the torso to make it work. This is one of the major parts of the carving that I do not like. She would have been better left armless.

I epoxy'd the arms to the torso and cut off the protruding dowels. Now comes the finishing work. This is where I always lose my mind..... those who know me well, will tell you that I can't afford to lose even a little...LOL.

After sanding her smooth, I put distress marks and fake split marks on her torso. I want her to look old when she is finally finished.....at the rate I am going she might actually be pretty old before she is done...

Comment

Here are the final pics of her with the dowels cut off, and a few others
          the end...mercifully.

PS. am celebrating with several margaritas......

Comment

I love her. Great design with nice form and details.I'd love to make a lifesize one.

Comment

You're a better man than I am, Pete. This is a one of a kind piece for me. I am going back to the comfortable bearded faces of my Father Christmas figures....LOL. Thank you though, for your kind words....

Comment

hi susieq, congratulation to work through such a big progress, out of your comfort zone. she is great, you did a wonderful job on her, also like very much the lower part with the acanthus and the fish scales, gives a quite nice feeling. ah the arms, yes, maybe your problem was to carve them separately ? i mean when you puthem on the body while roughing out, then take them off for refining the shapes, and later put them on again to finetune, you have visually the connection to the body that might help. at least, i would try it this way...anyway, really a great job you have done, and not rushed as it is often teasing the feeling. well done.

Comment

As an Auld Salt I can say thats best figurehead I've seen in a long time. Congrats .

Comment

Now that is something to see and enjoy.
                    Curt

Comment

I always have been jealous of you .... now it's worse

Comment

Hello Doris, John, Curt, Nancy, thank you for your comments.

She certainly was waaay out of my comfort zone, Doris. But you inspire all of us to stretch a little when we see your work.....and Nancy, how funny that you say you're jealous? I have always been jealous of your Santa figures!

I think I pronounced "the end" a little too quickly...wishful thinking, it was...
                        She still needs painted and antiqued. So, at some point in the near future, there will be a couple more pics.
                        Thank you John, for your expert opinion as an "Old Salt". Hope she lives up to the name you gave her when we started.

Comment

Susieq, You should consider doing more women. You certainly have done your lady proud. She is a wonderful carving.

Hmmm If you need a boat to attach her too, my husband says you might look at this one.

Please don't throw sharp objects Susie. Love your carving.

Wanda

Comment

Hi Wanda...is the boat a "prarie scooner" (sp?) LOL.
                            Thanks for your kind words about miss Maggie. I might so something along that line again...just not for a while.

I started her last summer and had no idea that it would take me this long to finish. Of course, I had to put her aside to work on Santas for the gallery and then there were all kinds of interuptions and distractions this year, ranging from having to make multiple unplanned trips up to my parents home in NC due to severe medical emergencies, having to bring dad back to Fla, after mom died and then his passing shortly after, to mundane things like suddenly finding out I'm baby sitting the grandkids for a few days to a week at a time for our two daughters.....like Gilda Radner's Saturday Night Live personna used to say... "It's always something".... Life just has no respect for your plans.

Comment

Susie, it is a Rob Roy "Yawl" type sailboat. Canoe front and rear (pointy) with tan bark sails. Only the front two were up in the picture. She is "Curious". My Father in law sailed her from Maine to Florida and around the keys and also I believe from Maine to Novia Scotia and New Finland before retiring her to our care. My husband is presently restoring her and it too is a long process. Her insides are Teak.

I would love to try a smaller version of yours in recycled mahogony from the old boat we salvaged. I have saved back some just in case. I may want to pick your brain on construction if you don't mind.
                              Still in awe of your carving.
                              Wanda

Comment

Susie, she is wonderful! i salute you, going out of your comfort zone.That was brave! You inspire me to get out of my comfort zone and try something different.Actually I haven't carved in a few months and it's really getting to me!!! I will salute you with a Newcastle dark ale later today! Nice work and cheers!
                                My ETSY shop:
                                https://www.etsy.com/shop/WoodforddellDesigns

Comment

Working...
                                X