Help with Horse Eyes: warning, pic heavy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Horse Eyes: warning, pic heavy

Folks, can you all take a look at this and comment on some issues? This is my 3'rd try, and the first try at the final intended size of the chess piece. I'd like all your suggestions for improvement, but where I'm stuck is on the eyes. This is way too small for my to use a knife, and it FEELS like the flexcut tools are too large although they are what I've used to this point. I also have a 2mm #5. I'm going for a more or less realistic horse, not a caricture (despite how the nostrils turned out).

Attempt #2 I abandoned because I messed up the eyes, so I'm very hesitant to move forward on this one until I get some guidance. How would you proceed? Also, have I "boasted out" correctly, or is that the source of my problem?

Following are the picture links:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...g?t=1238942363

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...g?t=1238942387

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...g?t=1238942404

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...g?t=1238942424

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...g?t=1238942449

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...g?t=1238942462

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...g?t=1238942493

Re: Help with Horse Eyes: warning, pic heavy

A horses eyes are more toward the side of the head....they can see behind themselves. at least movement...
    "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

As HI HO has stated, the eyes are on the sides of the skull (horses are basically a prey species and must stay wary) as are the nostrils. The first thing I would do is to take down the "back or outer" sides of the eyes to move them more toward the sides of the head. Also take down the "outside" edges of the nostrils. I think these two things will get you moving again with your carving.

Comment

Check out this link...it might help.
        Picasa Web Albums - OUT WEST BLOG - Carving A Cow...#

Comment

Lynn, that's a great resource!

All: iteration 1 turned out okay (it was larger). But I had put the eyes on the side for that one, and it looked, well, like the eyes were too much on the side.

When I look at horse pictures, photos of the side of the horses' head clearly show side eyes. But 3/4 and forward pictures make it look like they are angled somewhat forward. Is this a function of how bulbous they are?

Comment

Paul/Lynn: am I getting to the scale where I'm better off scrubbing with sandpaper rather than cutting?

Comment

I think the problem you are having is with the end of the head. Your nostril holes are too round, too prominent and need to be pushed off to the sides more. I think that you should also narrow down the sides of the mouth a bit more. Lynn has some excellent face photos on his blog.

Comment

Paul, thanks. The holes are drilled about half an inch deep (real nasal passages!). I'm going to come in from the side, breaking through the wall to try and for the obround shape.

Looking at the previously mentioned excellent collection of photos, what I take away is the the eyes aren't really on the side. They are almost at 45 front to side, and somewhat down.

I bought one of those breyer horses off ebay. That came in last night and is helping to clarify things. I don't know if they are "correct" or not, but are horsish enough for my purpose.

Comment

Another question for you.

A generalized carving question, but pertaining to the horse. Is it inherently problematic to take the "middle ground" in carving?

What I mean is this. I see two extremes. One extreme is the "cartoon" where you work out only the most prominent features and then only in the most general way. In the crudest example, I see chess Knights where the profile is band sawed out, poke two holes for eyes, two for the nose, a knife slash for the mouth, and some scratches for mane. Sand and krylon. "Primitive" art would be another: big but geometrically simple bubble lips, bubble eyes, two exaggerated arches for eyebrows, and crude nose-done.

One the other extreme is hyper-realism: every nuance, every ripple, every muscle carved in. The latter case is, of course, "satisfying" if properly executed. But so is the former (emphasis on "properly executed").

Is the middle ground, which I am trying to hit, satisfying if properly executed, or does it unavoidably leave the impression of being unfinished?

Comment

the front point of a horses eye is approximately 1/3 of the way down a horses head, measured from his poll to the end of nose-- the eye angle is 45 degrees down from the top plane of the face and if u look straight on- 1/3 of the eye can be see from the front-- and 2/3 can be seen from the side-- the mouth is 1/4 or so up from the btm of the face, but dont forget to include the chin in the carving--it actually is below the lower jaw plane. i suggest you go to local book store and purchase one of the picture books of horse and study the head-- thats one thing that helped me- ill try to post some other horse head pictures later today-- after work. possibly that will help--

Comment

Thanks Chuck!

Comment

i hope this helps with your horse head carving- eye placement etc--sorry i was late getting this posted-- i couldnt figure out how to make new camera take close ups-- without being fuzzy-

Comment

Chuck, that's a huge amount of help! Thanks! I need to really internalize that horse eyes bug OUT, and are not inset like ours.

Comment

Chuck: how did you actually carve those eyes? With what tools?

Originally posted by chuckbolton View Post
                            i hope this helps with your horse head carving- eye placement etc--sorry i was late getting this posted-- i couldnt figure out how to make new camera take close ups-- without being fuzzy-

Comment

Working...
                            X