Leftovers from Walnut Brownie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leftovers from Walnut Brownie

Growing up rather poor, Dad and Mom taught us not to waste anything. I kept passing the leftover wood from the Walnut Brownie Spoon handle and wondered what I could use it for.

Then it hit me! Keoma! No I didn't carve Keoma, I borrowed from her beautiful hair combs and sticks. Hope she doesn't mind.

Here is the result. Wanda

Re: Leftovers from Walnut Brownie

And here it is after the final finish of water based polyurothane and what I would like to call my special finish on the top. It is 2/3 outdoor paint medium and 1/3 bronze metallic paint.
    Wanda

Comment

Thanks Kevin. I just hate to waste things. I may use the inside cuts from the comb for plant sticks.
      Wanda

Comment

Wanda, It's wonderful! Glad you didn't carve Keoma, she'd be in alot of pain! I almost spit my coffee out over that! I save most of my little scraps too.Kind of poor as a kid also, lots of broke times as an adult! LOL It's a great use of scraps!
        My ETSY shop:
        https://www.etsy.com/shop/WoodforddellDesigns

Comment

Thanks Sharon. Am I gonna have to make you a coffee shield for your computer? Being a military wife, I too have had many poor times as an adult.
          Hope Keoma doesn't mind me following in her lead on the hair ornaments. Too bad I don't have enough hair to model it!!
          Oh well.
          Wanda

Comment

Good job, Wanda 'you rock'
            Kathy

Comment

Thanks Kathy.
              Wanda

Comment

Nifty carving Wanda and great use for leftovers.

Comment

Thank you Kenny. It was fun and as soon as I find someone with long hair, I'll see how good it works.
                  Wanda

Comment

OH GIRL! Goodonya! That is a lovely fork! Of course I do not mind! So glad I could be of some sort of inspiration! That rocks my morning!
                    Ok-is it finished? I ask because of the tips of the tines. They need to be pointed so they don't grab your baby hairs on the way in It so sucks when that happens.
                    Slide the comb through your hair as your working it. That way you'll know where some lovin needs to happen. Then sand sand sand sand and sand it again. I work my way down to a burnishing stick. Which is just a grooved out piece of Manzanita that I work furiously across as much surface as possible.
                    This is a gorgeous fork! It would look devine in...siiiigh...my hair...ha ha ha ha...I really love the design you chose. Its simple, elegant and very victorian-esque...a fine piece for any ladies boudoir for certain!
                    Congratulations!
                    Thanks so much for sharing...and if you ever do wanna carve me...please get the sumptuous curve to my mouth right and be a little less generous with my waist

Comment

Keoma,
                      I knew you could tell me if it needed anything. That's why I PM'd ya.

It's been soooo long since I had baby hair!

I was afraid if it got too pointy I'd have to register it as a dangerous weapon with the locals!

All joking aside, how pointy should it be? I haven't seen any close ups of the tines so I winged it.

Are the crooked tines ok? Or should I say curvy?

Thanks so much for the critique.Wanda

Comment

"crooked" tines are awesome...they help hold it in especially good for fine and thin hair.

You don't need them to be little daggers, but a blunt pencil is good. I sometimes make them super super sharp at the request of a few ladies who like the comfort of having a weapon in their wild hairs
                        Square or fat rounds will not go in. They just stop and you end up pulling and yanking.

If you take a look at my shop...please don't think this is a plug...or at my myspace, you can see the shape of my tines. There is a few in my carver gallery as well.

This is a yummy fork and walnut makes especially special pieces. Again, this is just great.

Lots of love!

Comment

Thanks again Keoma,
                          I took a look at your store. Nice layout.

My combs tines are at least 6 inches long. Is that too long or better for long curly hair?

I promise, last question....maybe

Wanda

Comment

Cool Keoma,
                            I finally figured out how to see all your sold stuff on your Etsy site.
                            WOW
                            Wanda

Comment

That's a great comb, Wanda......loved what you did with it, and you have heard from the "master" regarding the ends of the tines. She's an expert at it. I was going to say you would make Keoma proud, but I see that you already have...LOL. Nice job. Bonnie

Comment

Working...
                              X