Carving on company time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carving on company time!

Last October I lost my construction job and was out of work only two days. Lucky! The new construction company that I went to work for said that they knew I carved and there would be future work for me. Yea right! Well they came thru last month. A church that we are working on happens to be the church that our owner goes to so he is donating a gift that I am carving. I meet with the church committe and they had invisioned something on a wall that was curved and 40' L. X 16' H. Ouch!

I decided that if I made three wooden linens hanging from rods I could spread them apart to help take up room. Two linens are 3' X 5' and one is 4' X 5'.

They wanted their three word mission statement so I gave them my vision for the wall. I was given a go ahead. Yeppy!

I'll post more pictures tomorrow.

Re: Carving on company time!

Congratulations! I really like what I see so far. Hope you will be able to show us pictures of the completed carvings.

Safe carving and God Bless,

Mark

Comment

Congratulations Roger, you lucky dog! I like your idea a lot. Are you going to attempt to curve the individual panels to fit the wall curvature?

Looking forward to some progress pics.

Comment

Way to go, Roger! I like your idea. It should turn out beautiful. Keep us updated on your progress.

Ed

Comment

Roger .. if anyone could do it .. you could .. good luck on the project

Gene

Comment

Nice plan, that will look great when finished.

Feb

Comment

I'm back like a bad cold. LOL! I didn't mention that I'm being paid for this entire project by the hr. plus at completion of it I'll be getting a negotiated sum also? My wife said it best "I'm living a dream right now".

Enough of the small talk. After two weeks I managed to purchase the rough materials.

I mill the rough lumber down to useable pieces which were then glued up.

I then ground the three panels into linens.

In this two week period I decided that I needed something that would hold these linens as I carved on them and be carver friendly. Lucky me again, one of the guys at work cuts hair and had a barbers chair that he was willing to sell, $50, SOLD!

I removed all parts except for the hydraulics then added a small 24" X 24" X 2" table. I also mounted a B&D carvers tilting table to that. Now I can go up or down, around and around, and tilt. Yeppy once again!

Comment

tell ya sounds like you landed a great job. Your project looks like a hard one,will follow progress
                Curt

Comment

Back one last time for a while or until I get a little farther. Before I go any farther I apologize for the filthy shop area. The size of these has pushed things all over.

In the last week and a half I layed out the linens with all designs on them.

I started to ground or at least I think thats what they call it, the relief areas.

Now I have started to carve on a couple of linens.

That's all for now.

Comment

Looking good! I envy you. As a draftsman, the closest I'll get to carving on the job is making a drawing. They just wouldn't understand having wood chips underfoot on the new office carpet! LOL

Bob L

Comment

Yes you are right about that Bob L. Chips and carpet just don't mix. Well, maybe they do. LOL! I keep saying lucky but I guess I somewhat made that luck happen. Thanks Bob!

Comment

Great project Rog and you get the barber chair too!! Its always nice to get a new project where you end up with more tools than when you start!

Did you mention what wood you are using? Basswood?
                        When I cut myself, I bleed sawdust!
                        Please view my carving website and blog site: http://3crosseswoodcarving.com
                        My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/3CrossesWoodcarving
                        My Email: [email protected]
                        My Face book Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/3Cros...g/267742984970

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/3CrWoodcarving
                        My Etsy Store: http://www.etsy.com/shop/garymcdaniel

Comment

Roger,

Looking very good so far - like the progress shots, especially the new carving bench LOL.

Don't worry about the shop, I think the only neat shop in the world is Norm's - and I'll bet he has an army to clean up after him.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony Filetti View Post
                            Great project Rog and you get the barber chair too!! Its always nice to get a new project where you end up with more tools than when you start!

Did you mention what wood you are using? Basswood?
                            I thought I did but I think a lot of things that aren't. Butternut because I can carve it much faster than oak.

Comment

Originally posted by carver33 View Post
                              Roger,

Looking very good so far - like the progress shots, especially the new carving bench LOL.

Don't worry about the shop, I think the only neat shop in the world is Norm's - and I'll bet he has an army to clean up after him.
                              Thanks Bill!

Comment

Working...
                              X